Sign in to follow this  
NZ00Z3

Right to Repair your own car?

I've read a bit about the "Right to Repair" legislation in the USA.  Wondered if we had anything similar for in service cars in New Zealand?

Best I could find after several hours or searching were:

Are there any other gems of legislation that a driver can quote to an over vellos "Boy in Blue" who thinks that everything you have done to your car is a modification and needs to be cert'ed

Just become a sovereign citizen and tell them that maritime law doesn't apply to you

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, NZ00Z3 said:

Are there any other gems of legislation that a driver can quote to an over vellos "Boy in Blue" who thinks that everything you have done to your car is a modification and needs to be cert'ed

There is a big difference between repairing, or fixing, your car back to a working condition and making changes to it. I would suggest the most relevant legislation would be the VIRM covering the WoF requirements.

3 hours ago, NZ00Z3 said:

LVV Certification Threshold Schedule  https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents.html#thresholds

When I was modifying my car I worked with the LVVTA documentation in mind. These are the docs that the Cert Man will rely on when inspecting your modified vehicle. As far as I know WOF requirements are the same for all cars modified or otherwise. The WOF guy will be OK with your mods if they can see them listed on a Cert plate fixed to the car. 

The LVVTA docs are primarily related to any modification that can affect safety aspects of the vehicle and its operation. Therefore by invoking the powers granted to them by legislation, if they something is a safety matter it is non-negotiable, regardless of how annoying or how illogical that rule may be. Minor modifications like adding gauges or M3 stickers are not required to be certified :)

Cheers...