Sign in to follow this  
DJM3

S50B32 - Cam timing mistake

Hi all,

Was hoping to get some advise - I am elbow deep in a head gasket build on my M3 and was progressing through the cam install and timing. 

this where where I think I made a boo boo. 

on the “intake cam hub” I has everything fitted up and was aligned (2 bolts in the hub ) but they were not tight . I then proceeded to rotate the engine (by hand) and the locking bolts moved all the way to the end of the “slots” 

My question is- have I now made valves kiss pistons ? Or is there a margin of safety with these “slots” on the hub?

sorry is that is not easy to flow ! 

adding a bit more content 

The intake hub was assembled, 2x m8 bolts were securing it ( just not enough to stop the bolts sliding all the way to the end of the “slots”) so when I hand cranked, it all moved .

I added a picture - 

In the top picture that is the amount of “movement “ in the hub circled in blue. 

The bottom pic was the hub assembled- how I had it (just not tight enough) 

Hoping that “that amount of movement “ was within safe limits !!!

91CFC800-CA68-4065-86D1-78E043AC7EF1.png

Edited by DJM3

Valves are tough little bastards... if a piston hit a valve on the way up while you were turning the crank by hand, it would have stopped. Or at least there would have been a point at which the resistance to turning increased noticeably. If it turned smoothly and easily (plugs out) and you didn't feel anything I think you should be fine. 

Cheers...

As per the feedback you received over on 'Cutters, you're fine, the slots are 100% well within the safe range of motion... or they'd be shorter.

19 hours ago, jon dee said:

Valves are tough little bastards... if a piston hit a valve on the way up while you were turning the crank by hand, it would have stopped. Or at least there would have been a point at which the resistance to turning increased noticeably. If it turned smoothly and easily (plugs out) and you didn't feel anything I think you should be fine. 

Cheers...

Hi Jon Dee, thanks for the reply - im now second guessing my memory - I dont know if it was because it was the first time i had hand cranked the engine in about 6 month or there was some slight resistance. But it did feel "tight" for that first rotation and after i redid things it was more free. .  but again i could be all in my head.   

16 hours ago, M3AN said:

As per the feedback you received over on 'Cutters, you're fine, the slots are 100% well within the safe range of motion... or they'd be shorter.

Hi M3AN! Log time,  Thanks for replying, I do feel much better hearing that now!  Im just not sure why the valves are leaking air/ bubbling when i put solvent in the intake port and apply compressed air.

My engine builder did say there was 2 options for this 

1. I bent or damaged the valve face 

2. there is rust on the valve seat as the head has been in storage for 7 months before i put it on

I will be putting a scope in the bore on saturday anyway