E30stz

Quick Questions

Where abouts are people getting their BMW coolant from ? Through BMW ?

On 7/4/2021 at 7:29 PM, Atari said:

Where abouts are people getting their BMW coolant from ? Through BMW ?

Yep, go and see the parts team at Continental Cars BMW Wellington.  It's reasonably priced.  Pick up some deionised water from REPCO/BNT/Supercheap, and you're sorted.  HTH

You can get demineralised water from New World in 10 litre bottles for about a 1/3 of the price of auto/tool stores FWIW.

I think I paid less than $9 for 10l.

Apologies for regurgitating a topic which I'm sure has been covered before.

Miss M's 116i has runflat tyres. Need two tyres replacing...

1. Do we need to buy runflats again?
  2. If we changed the rims to something else, is that going to raise problems?

2 hours ago, gjm said:

Apologies for regurgitating a topic which I'm sure has been covered before.

Miss M's 116i has runflat tyres. Need two tyres replacing...

1. Do we need to buy runflats again?
  2. If we changed the rims to something else, is that going to raise problems?

The previous discussions on #1 we've had here concluded that you can't mix runflats and non, so you'd need to buy runflats or replace all 4.

#2, not sure I understand, you can run different rims but they need to be the same across axles and the total rolling circumference front to rear needs to be similar.

*exceptions apply when using a spare. 

Just now, M3AN said:

The previous discussions on #1 we've had here concluded that you can't mix runflats and non, so you'd need to buy runflats or replace all 4.

#2, not sure I understand, you can run different rims but they need to be the same across axles and the total rolling circumference front to rear needs to be similar.

*exceptions apply when using a spare. 

I was thinking in terms of replacing the rims with a different, non-runflat design. Are there then issues if a runflat sensor isn't available to provide the system with that information?

It's a moot point now as at $275 each (fitted) we've decided that sticking with what she's got is the best policy. :)

It would depend on which tyre pressure monitoring system you had on the car - if it is the runflat monitor (which you MUST have to use run-flats so you can't just put RFT on any car) this is sensed off the ABS system in the wheel hubs, nothing in the rim itself. However if you have the optional tyre pressure monitoring system (2VB which gives the read out of pressures at each wheel) then yes you would need to swap the sensors over into the new rims - I believe these are contained in the valve assemblies so should be easy enough for any tyre shop to do.

Glad you have found a reasonable solution, without too much expense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any suggestion on best place to get a vehicle weighed? Weigh bridge at the tip seems a little crude, want a reasonably accurate number for some math and logging.

11 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Any suggestion on best place to get a vehicle weighed? Weigh bridge at the tip seems a little crude, want a reasonably accurate number for some math and logging.

Near you (I think), give Stevenson Aggregate in Drury a call tomorrow, they used to do it for a tenner and was very accurate.

Otherwise yeah, a tip, I think they'll be +/- 2kg ish (or else what's the point) which is probably good enough.

Other thought, an alignment shop like Racealign which can corner weight a vehicle but that will be many $$$ more than a simple weight measurement.

• Like 1

The rear windscreen squirter nozzle on my e70 is just dribbling but water is dripping into the inside of the car from the top ofthe screen trim area, is this a common fault/easy fix?

9 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

The rear windscreen squirter nozzle on my e70 is just dribbling but water is dripping into the inside of the car from the top ofthe screen trim area, is this a common fault/easy fix?

No idea how common this may be, but could it be a split hose?

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 3:38 PM, Jacko said:

I did the X5 at Henderson tip, added up what was inside and compared to handbook, it was pretty much spot on.

Not entirely BMW-related...

What's the cheapest way to send 32-35kg from Chch to Hawke's Bay? Courier will take up to 25kg.

Anyone know where id get 95%+ Formic Acid in NZ (and online), need to melt me some BMW plastic.

22 hours ago, Jacko said:

Anyone know where id get 95%+ Formic Acid in NZ (and online), need to melt me some BMW plastic.

You could try these guys... https://www.merckmillipore.com/NZ/en/product/Formic-acid-98-1000-0,MDA_CHEM-100264#anchor_orderingcomp

They have the good stuff and do a range of sizes. Only that is lab quality and will be priced accordingly.

Cheers...

• Thanks 1

Just saw a Falcon with no windows drive past.

Hot, sunny day... is this bogan aircon?

• Haha 2

Pffft... haven't you been up north?

I was in Broadwood (north Hokianga) and an 80's RWD corolla went past... no doors and 4 space savers. Just cruising down the main road, like it was normal.

The kid driving it was probably 12. Not sure if the other occupants were his much younger siblings, or offspring 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Allanw said:

Pffft... haven't you been up north?

'Here there be dragons?'

Out of interest, just looked at a global projection. North of New Zealand is Kamchatka. About 11,400km...

9 hours ago, Allanw said:

... no doors and 4 space savers.

Under those circumstances I would consider that a set of four matching wheels of any type showed an unexpected degree of motoring sophistication for the Far North :D 

Cheers...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

E46 prop centre support bearing replacement.

Easy-as? Or...?

1 hour ago, gjm said:

E46 prop centre support bearing replacement.

I did mine at home by myself, can't recall specifics of what I did but don't remember it being a drama. I have this picture ... looks like i just wrestled the old one off with a hammer / punch or similar then popped the new one on with a socket or something :D

Edit: Take note of the direction when taking the old one off ... they are not reversible.

2021-03-06_15-37-51.jpg.97bcd1af265db3cb9a6e8b90bcc5c00e.jpg

Edited by Cement
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cement said:

I did mine at home by myself, can't recall specifics of what I did but don't remember it being a drama. I have this picture ... looks like i just wrestled the old one off with a hammer / punch or similar then popped the new one on with a socket or something :D

Edit: Take note of the direction when taking the old one off ... they are not reversible.

No issues splitting the propshaft?

You'll need a long 18mm spanner or leverage to crack the center bolt which has threadlocker on it. Jaw puller makes taking the bearing off easy. You can use the other half of the driveshaft to tap the bearing on.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eagle said:

You'll need a long 18mm spanner or leverage to crack the center bolt which has threadlocker on it. Jaw puller makes taking the bearing off easy. You can use the other half of the driveshaft to tap the bearing on.

Thanks Jared.