E30stz

Quick Questions

20 hours ago, gjm said:

E46 prop centre support bearing replacement.

Easy-as? Or...?

Oh well. Not the support bearing. That's smooth, slick and happy.

The rear UJ on the propshaft is another story... :(

E46 ant-roll bar links. Swaybar links...

Working with the front wheels driven on to a raised platform so the car is sitting on the wheels, not jacked clear of the ground. I'm told this is the correct way to do this.

Replacing the links. Never found something so easy to see but so tricky to sensibly get tools to!

Bottom nut off. I was told to use 15mm and 16mm spanners/sockets - needed an 18mm on the ball side of the lower mount, and 16mm on the nut.

Now the fun starts. How do I get to the top nut? It sits inboard of the tyre so is inaccessible from the outside, going between the tyre and the wheelarch. And lying on the ground, I can't reach  with both hands to get a spanner on either side of the mount on the shock.

Is the answer to get the wheel off and work from there? It certainly seems it'd be a lot easier!

Yes @gjm, take the wheels off. The swaybar and links can be installed/removed unloaded, there's no preload involved. With no end links the bar itself should pivot freely in its bushes.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, M3AN said:

Yes @gjm, take the wheels off. The swaybar and links can be installed/removed unloaded, there's no preload involved. With no end links the bar itself should pivot freely in its bushes.

Thanks Dave. Still a bit of a PITA job with no room to swing a ratchet - constantly fouling on one or another bit of car - and necessitated use of a very slim 18mm spanner I fortunately have.

Jacked up car, removed wheel, positioned axle sand under hub flange, gently lowered car on to axle stand sufficient to unload the link, struggle with the nuts but once released, came apart very easily.
All done. Just need to polish the headlights and go get a WoF retest.

• Like 1

A question I always wanted to ask... But have been too scared to test out. Googled online but couldn't find an answer. Maybe someone here knows. We have a 2007 Merc with steering column shift. I am wondering if the system is programmed to recognise 'user error' and prevent you from shifting into reverse when you are going above a certain speed. We had a non European rental for a week and now am second guessing everytime I indicate! 

14 hours ago, C-130 Hercules said:

A question I always wanted to ask... But have been too scared to test out. Googled online but couldn't find an answer. Maybe someone here knows. We have a 2007 Merc with steering column shift. I am wondering if the system is programmed to recognise 'user error' and prevent you from shifting into reverse when you are going above a certain speed. We had a non European rental for a week and now am second guessing everytime I indicate! 

Without any specific knowledge of the car in question, I think that if the shifts are fully controlled by a transmission computer, it will protect against user error. My car is a 2008 model and it will not downshift if making the shift would result in excessive engine rpm. And I have seen a YT video of someone purposefully shifting a reasonably late model Honda (I think) into reverse at 100kph to see what would happen. Nothing happened... the trans did not shift into reverse, and there did not appear to be any ill effects. 

So based on that exhaustive investigation of barely any facts, I think your trans controller should keep you safe. Curiously enough, I find that operating the wipers just before I make a turn doesn't always get me a cheerful wave from other motorists :Angry-min:

Cheers...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jon dee said:

So based on that exhaustive investigation of barely any facts...

The internet wins! :D 

26 minutes ago, jon dee said:

I find that operating the wipers just before I make a turn doesn't always get me a cheerful wave from other motorists 

Or attempting to do a window wash... 😁 

Thought I also share this insight with the group. Gathered on a Merc forum. Provides me with reasonable reassurance... 

Screenshot_20220615_085649_com.android.chrome.jpg

32 minutes ago, gjm said:

The internet wins! :D 

The internet represents the first phase of AI replacing human intelligence. There are already many millions of people who have made the shift and now allow the internet and socmed to do their thinking for them. The constant burden of having to think for oneself is removed, and there is no longer any need to consider the consequences of ones actions. After all, the internet knows everything there is to know and socmed with its demigods provides the necessary link between the brain dead and the internet. 

When Trump rises again in his final incarnation, the transition to AI will be complete. Hordes of New Age zombies will overrun governments and and like the Mau Mau, using drugs to make themselves invincible, they will sweep the last thinking people aside. 

This is no laughing matter... I saw a video on TikTok that explained it all !!!

Cheers...

Would anyone happen to know how much it costs to fix the condensation issue on headlights & rear lights? Just wanted to get an indication before I walk into a mechanic's shop. What I've read online makes this seem too complicated for me :p  

6 minutes ago, Choo said:

Would anyone happen to know how much it costs to fix the condensation issue on headlights & rear lights? Just wanted to get an indication before I walk into a mechanic's shop. What I've read online makes this seem too complicated for me 😛 

Well, on a Corolla I cleared the spiders webs out of the drain tubes and sprayed them with flykiller....

2 hours ago, Choo said:

Would anyone happen to know how much it costs to fix the condensation issue on headlights & rear lights? Just wanted to get an indication before I walk into a mechanic's shop. What I've read online makes this seem too complicated for me 😛 

It will depend on what has failed, do all of your corners have condensation?

I noticed condensation on 3 of 4 corners. Probably the 4th one has it too. The front left seems to have it worst. 

Edited by Choo

What is my correct part number for my differential? My vin is nk69753.  Car is 320i 2006 n46 engine.

Is the part number this ? 33107524319 or this 33107524325? Thank you.

Link

Okay, Pressing the start button on my n46 e90 without pressing the brakes.  Just left it like that. Notices that I heard the throttle body adjusting. Also hear a lot of other noises from the engine and after sometime it all stop no more noise. Is that normal?

7 hours ago, Toksis said:

Okay, Pressing the start button on my n46 e90 without pressing the brakes.  Just left it like that. Notices that I heard the throttle body adjusting. Also hear a lot of other noises from the engine and after sometime it all stop no more noise. Is that normal?

Yes

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 8:16 PM, C-130 Hercules said:

Anyone use them before? Looks like a good idea. 

Screenshot_20221107_201607.jpg

I'm there now to do the exhaust gaskets In the M5, so far so good, I will report back when I'm done...

• Like 1

Spent an hour or so at greasy hands replacing the 2 front exhaust gaskets in the M5 and recovering a torx key that ended up on the under tray when I replaced a coil 2 weeks ago, cost about $43, guys seem pretty good, they are car guys and they operate the hoist for you, basic tools are provided but I recommend taking any special tools you might need, and a light of some description. There is a H and S induction and forms to fill out before entry, but they keep them on file so you only have to do it the first time, hoists are all new and there are 4, as a bonus they are only 5 minutes from home!!

Recommended for servicing or basic jobs that are a lot easier on a hoist, suspension bushes, exhaust stuff, driveline, etc.

Edit, you need to wear good shoes (no jandals, duh!). They also require you to wear a high vis vest, safety glasses and gloves, if you don't bring your own you can purchase them on site.

20221217_102602.thumb.jpg.8124bc506b1620ccdf512f9d03c0e45f.jpg

Edited by aja540i
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hey guys, 

For those of you who look under your car more often than I do (which is almost never 🙄), how worried should I be if a couple of screws are missing from under my front bumper? Also, should I do anything about it?

I've got no way of knowing if they were ever there since I owned the car or if the guys who worked on my car forgot to put them back  :p   

Thanks for any feedback and happy new year.

bumper screw.jpg

Edited by Choo
Sorry for the poor quality photo.

Photo is pretty poor but looks like its missing a self tapping screw (typically 8mm). Wreckers etc would have plenty so just get some new ones.

• Like 1

Make: BMW

Model: 530D

Year: 2012

Chassis: f10

Hey guys, a quick question about my bmw maintenance intervals. Recently purchased this bmw 530d travelled 68000kms, Continental bmw recommends 24months/24,000km service interval for $390.00. My local garage however recommends every 10k / one year whichever comes first. Some YouTuber even recommends every 5k/6 months service intervals. The car is driven daily on suburban roads, no heavy handling or drag racing. What should be the best service interval?

Also should I be needing to change the transmission fluid? 

cheers

Joey