E30stz

Quick Questions

the bolt is usualy denser than the metal it is bolting into so when you heat it the metal around it expands more than the bolt thus freeing it up.

anyone know how to tell what ecu i need to get for my 1987 325i motor. it has got 2 rows of pins on the loom conector. and if i can use my pfl flywheel from my 320i?????

Few things regarding e30 coupe fl 318iA;

Mates borrowing my red book, so...

A) Removed battery, replaced, now the 'service lights' stay on fully green. What does this mean?

B) Rev counter doesn't work, yet speedo does. Simple fix = ___?

C) I need to access the boot, yet the lock has been attempted to be broken into, and now the key won't work. Best idea I've come up with is remove rear seat, remove ski hole, then remove the 2 bolts on each side holding the boot down, but still will have lock attached right? Next idea? Destroy the lock all together?

That's it for now, thanks.

hi guys just took the clutch out of my parts car and it measures 8.3mm thick (accurately). My manual says 7.5mm is the minimum. Is that much room? I have no idea what to compare it to and how quickly clutches wear? thanks

Its fine. Keep it. They're pretty cheap though. If you actually needed a new clutch you may as well buy new. There's nothing wrong with having a serviceable spare lying around though.

A quick one:

What are the tappet settings on an e30 6cyl? Ive seen 12 thou but this looks to much to me....

Cheers.

10 thou cold, 12 thou hot according to Bentley.

Is the viscous fan in the 318 and the 320 the same? Cheers.

What size are the front speakers in an NZ new pre f/l m325? In the footwells behind the kick panels.

Finally onto sorting audio and what to know what size components I can fit behind there.

What size are the front speakers in an NZ new pre f/l m325? In the footwells behind the kick panels.

Finally onto sorting audio and what to know what size components I can fit behind there.

Mine had 5.25", but some can fit 6"+ in it.

Mine had 5.25", but some can fit 6"+ in it.

Thanks Jared,

Who's got 6"s in there without cutting/destroying things?

You have to make some damage. I've got some door cards that'll come with dash if you wanna practice cutting?

On another note;

How do I track down an address "legally" with just the persons phone number in NZ??

Also;

What companies out there in the world wide auckland pick-up wrecked cars [non-rolling] with a hiab, bonus points if you name one that pays [or does free].

You have to make some damage. I've got some door cards that'll come with dash if you wanna practice cutting?

It's all good thanks, I'm not letting them go near door cards anyway- Danke Jared

Who's got 6"s in there without cutting/destroying things?

have got 6 1/4s in, had to cut out the kickpanel plastic speaker grill, and to retain the bonet release cut into the glovebox to allow to open properly - could avoid by having a rip cord style bonet release (way less effort than chopping up glovebox) or a more slim speaker

have infinty reference's in, which i belive are on the bigger side

could take some pics if u like?

could take some pics if u like?

I'm looking at doing mine and would appreciate some pictures

I'm anti cutting/hacking into anything, so I imagine I'm going to have to go smaller-

Thanks though! I'm on a no-destruction-mission currently, trying to keep everything looking smooth

yeah tried to go that way, but didnt want to smaller in speakers, its just that stupid bonnet lever!!!! the whole thing is only just out, have almost finished it thou!!

i guess the best thing to do is to measure the gap between the kick panel and the bonnet release and then goto a car audio shop and measure the cover depth of the speakers and then choose out of those that fit.

mounting depth isnt great in e30s either!!!

I'm looking at doing mine and would appreciate some pictures

sweet will take some 2moro, but wont be up till late 2moro nite

Is the viscous fan in the 318 and the 320 the same? Cheers.

The differences are only 3 or 4 stud....

Or you could cut the bonnet release to half thickness - still plenty strong enough. i have the same speakers and they look almost factory - cut kickpanels and modded release lever.

If you want to go baller hook the cable up to a solenoid and have electric bonnet release. If your batt is flat use the emergency method using a flat blade screwdriver on the latch (legit).

The prob with 5.25" components is that there are bugger all to choose from.

Edited by bravo

yeah thought about slicing in half but wasnt sure if it would be strong enuff, but ohwell, enjoy tinkering around with things

works - sounds good - happy :)

Hi,

am wanting to check the gear box oil level as it has been leaking on my E30. Do I need a 17mm allen key to open this? 10mm was the biggest I could find in Super Cheap.

Cheers,

Nick

Yeah you need a big bugger. Go to a tool shop and buy the right size - get the type that fits on a ratchet driver - not the "L" shaped ones. Or buy a set. Forget the size - measure carefully, or someone else here may know offhand.

Why would a instrument cluster on a '85 323i's lights stop working on a 'replaced', unsure if replaced new, yet the speedo/tacho still work, but fuel is unaccurate... S.I batteries or a fuse was my guess, haven't been checked, anyone _know_ what it is?