Sign in to follow this  
smokenbaby

Evo3 Recaro seats to E30 seat rails

Step 1, Unbolt your E30 seats from the car.

Step 2, Remove the seat rails from the seats. This is done by removing the Clevous Pin at the front and unbolting the seatbelt latch and Bolts from the opposite side. Once you have done this you can use a large flat blade screw driver to lever the rear mounts off the “swing†pivot.

Step 3, Unbolt the Evo rails from the Recaro's and throw away - you don't need any of them. Keep the Allen Key bolts though.

Step 4, Make new mounts to be bolted to the Recaro's. Use some 50mm X 50mm X 3mm Right angle steel. For the front mounts you will need to cut 2x 50mm lengths. Drill 2x 6.5mm holes to mount to the seat and 1x 8.5mm hole for the rail mount. Make sure you cut the extra off as it will stick out the side and can be dangerous. You can make this look nice by angle cutting the mount into a triangle shape as in the picture below.

Step 5, To make the rear mount, is pretty much the same as the front but you only need to drill 1x 6.5mm hole to mount it to the seat. Once again use some 50mm X 50mm X 3mm Right angle steel. The only other difference is you need to drill a Large (not sure of the size) so you can slide it over the rear Pivot Shaft. This is where you bolt the seatbelt back on. This is now the seat mounted to the rail at the back. Using some washes as spacers you can now mount the front to the rails. See the picture below.

Step 6, Mount the buggers in your car and go for a drive.

If you find that the seat is angled forward when sitting in it (as I did first attempt) just make 2 new front mounts at a longer length ie, still use 50 x 50mm but drill the hole closer to the end. I ended up drilling mind about 10mm from the end. This puts a nice rake on the seat.

http://www.putfile.com/smokenbaby/images/11701

Edited by smokenbaby

Guest Andrew

Dude - don't go CAPS going WHEN I GET PERMISSION TO ADD PICTURES THEY WILL BE POSTED

It's not like we have TAKEN it away from you. We moved SERVER again and the DIRECTORY permissions are SET WRONG.

prob with hosting..try hosting on xs.to and linking em here

Dude - don't go CAPS going WHEN I GET PERMISSION TO ADD PICTURES THEY WILL BE POSTED

It's not like we have TAKEN it away from you. We moved SERVER again and the DIRECTORY permissions are SET WRONG.

I was trying to work out how to get it in bold. This was just to make people aware that the pics will be posted when I can.

Andrew/Gus, how bout I mail them to you, could you put them up for me.

Cheers

bold code then [ /b] without hte space

italics code then [ /i] without the space

underline code then [ /u] without hte space

website code linking%20an%20image%20from%20another%20website%20%5bimg%5d%20then%20%5b/%20img%5d%20without%20the%20space

if%20you%20want%20to%20add%20pics%20goto%20%5burl=http://www.imageshack.com%5dwww.imageshack.com" target="_blank"> then [ /url] without the space

linking an image from another website then [/ img] without the space

if you want to add pics goto www.imageshack.com then put them up there then link the link upto bimmersport.

Edited by E30stz

Would this be able to be adapted to any seat or just evo 3 recaros?

Chur

So is a cert needed? I'm just curious cos you've modified the seatbelt mount but it still mounts in the same place?

Nah no cert needed.

I take mine to vehicle testing in whangarei and they fly it through as it's bolted and running on factory runner's.

This is the exact way I mount my jamex seats. Angaline steal.... :ph34r:

Would this be able to be adapted to any seat or just evo 3 recaros?

Chur

No need for a cert as you have not cut or modified your original seat rails. There is also no current safety standard for seats in ROAD cars in NZ.

The seatbelt mount hasn't been modified at all. It is mounted the exact same way as the standard BMW fitment. Yes, this can be adapted for mounting any other seat that has bottom mount.

Anyway, have fun.

quote name='Munts316i' date='Sep 4 2006, 04:05 PM' post='92648']

cheers for putting this up mate

No worries there buddy

Edited by smokenbaby

Step 3, Unbolt the Evo rails from the Recaro's and throw away - you don't need any of them. Keep the Allen Key bolts though.

are these mitsubishi evo 3 recaro's we're talking about?

Edited by Assault

Right well in that case, your rails are worth a small amount over at www.mmc.org.nz forums so dont throw them away. Plenty of mitsi-heads need rails for different seats in their lancers.

In addition to that, you can use any mitsubishi evo recaro seat as they all share the same rail mounting points on the seat (although the rails are slightly different to suit each shape of evo) so, evo 1,2,3 (even early gsr) recaro's share the same rails and evo 4-6 share the same rails and I believe the 7-9 share the same rails though I cant confirm that one.

Right well in that case, your rails are worth a small amount over at www.mmc.org.nz forums so dont throw them away. Plenty of mitsi-heads need rails for different seats in their lancers.

In addition to that, you can use any mitsubishi evo recaro seat as they all share the same rail mounting points on the seat (although the rails are slightly different to suit each shape of evo) so, evo 1,2,3 (even early gsr) recaro's share the same rails and evo 4-6 share the same rails and I believe the 7-9 share the same rails though I cant confirm that one.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

May I add evo 1-2-3 seats are awesome and comfy :P sorry off the topic i know but had to add it!

Good to have a step to step guide on this kind of stuff! useful! :D

Massive thread dig :lol:

But thanks, I've got some recaro SRll's I've been put in for ages, but been to lazy.

E: Would also love pics, if they're still around.

Edited by antony

Ive got some jamex seats to put in and was just wondering on how the original rails were modified. So if anyone has the pics that would be chur.

^ Hey mate this is what I did to put a Jamex seat on my e30 rails. From people I have asked it would be fine for a wof.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The tabs have been welded to the tabs off the e30 rails to the square tubing since the photos in pic one.

Essentially made a square out of the tubing with two other pieces in the middle to line up with the jamex seat, bolted to each other and then the square itself welded and bolted to the tabs left on the e30 bracket.

It is a bit fiddly, but easy enough to do with a bit of time and a couple metres of square tube, a mig welder, some paint and some high tensile bolts and nuts.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by Forrest

^ Yeah it does slightly, but it is quite a deep seat. Can take some more pics and pm you if you need.

Edited by Forrest

And if you want the same Evo recaro's in pimp black alcantara with red stitching - get em out of a DC2R. They share the same rails IIRC.

And if you want the same Evo recaro's in pimp black alcantara with red stitching - get em out of a DC2R. They share the same rails IIRC.

and they have a leaver at the top to allow people to get into the back, if you have a coupe...

Hmm, this seems like a good idea, as the Evo seats are pretty much the same colour as my E30's black/grey interior...

and my seats are ripped.... would prefer the BMW sports though.