Sign in to follow this  
smokenbaby

E36 M3 Racer

You you don't mind running a slightly thinner disk (3mm total) you can save $40 each by running the E46 330i semi floaters. They are 325x25mm.

But hey, if you are spending over $600 a disk whats another $40 to get the right part.

For the sort of $$ you paid I would have gone for a race rotor/hat combo, like the PFC Direct Drive Full Floating rotors which have a lot of great feed back from racers in the US.

$606ea+shipping at the moment for the E46 M3 from Bimmerworld.

Not much more $$ if you include shipping for a serviceable race setup.

INFO

My 2c

Don't forget we like to see pics of all the goodies too!!

Long time no talk,

$606 + pp is not to bad at all. I only paid $490+ each this time round. I am hoping that by the time I am going to need replacement disks the cost will be back down at the $330 each mark.

Yeah I know, photos are good. But was not going to carry a huge disk into the Telecom test lab with me this morning and I don't have a camera in my car. But will fit to the front of the M3 and take a pic of them in situ for the boys on here.

Well they certainly fill out the 16's don't they.

The speedlines must have a very square profile where the spokes interface with the barrel for caliper clearance.

Are you using the radial mounted SL6's (SL6R) on the front??

What size tyres are you planning to run??

Sorry for the 20 Q's

There is 30mm clearance from the outer edge of the disc to the wheel, am running the Lug Mount SL6 as there are plenty of them floating around due to the V8 boys replacing them often. So with all the measurements taken in to account I will have 13.6mm clearance between calliper and wheel.

Tires at this stage (standard motor) are Kumho V700's. 245x45x16. More tye may/will be required if/when power output is increased.

What is the point of the carbon fibre head light panel? Just as a light weight replacement for headlight cluster?

Edited by Creaver

Hot - nice colour choice!

The panel weighs a whopping 4 oz. the head light cluster weighs?????? who cares, they are heavy. plus, I don't need lights, I can make these at small cost to myself any time I need one, it is an out and out race car and not a half race half road car, even though it is not much in itself in the way of saving weight every little bit helps to remove weight from in front of the front axle line as we all know e36's are nose heavy. And the simple fact that I can/have done it makes it cool!!!!!!!!!!

So why not do it. Costs a fraction to make compared to buying 2nd hand lights every time I get hit.

And to go along with your thinking, what is the point of any of this race car stuff?

But if I read your post in the context I think you are meaning, YES it is a cost effective light weight solution to the standerd head light cluster.

The weight out in front of the front axle line is a problem with E36's. But all cars suffer the same thing.

It is best to always where possible to place the bulk of the cars weight in between the 2 axle centre lines. This helps reduce the pendulum effect that can occur

and unsettle the cars handling.

As I said above, only weighs 4 oz so that is a pretty good saving so far.

Hot - nice colour choice!

Well for that one guard yes. The rest of the car is Diamond Swarz. I will be painting the whole car jet black as that is 3 of my sponsors cars so it makes sense. Well other than the inside, engine bay, inner guards and underside, they will be gun metal grey with a red pearl. OK yes I know, red pearl on a race car. I have 4ltrs of it from an old road car paint job so might as well use it up.

Looking awesome dude!

When do you expect to hit the track? and will you be competing in the bmw open class or another class?

I will hit the track with it as soon as it is ready. When that will be will be completely determined by how much time, money and energy I want to throw at it at this stage. I am in no real rush as it is just a time filler for me and something to keep me occupied in and around 2 jobs, a mates super saloon speedway car and all the other things I do for people and not ask anything in return for.

So basically who knows when it will be ready.

At this stage i will use it mainly for the Manfeild winter series and the 4 hour enduro at Manfeild and have some thought of running in the BMW open class at some stage.

The one thing I know though, is, when it finally hits the track, it may not be the fastest out there but will look damn good and have a lot WOW to it. I like nice looking cars with all the strickly motorsport feel to them. Presentation is a big thing for me.

It will be a good car when finished and competitive in its own right.

Thought i would give this topic a bit of life.

A few things have happened since I last posted.'

Brakes are all done, Seat is mounted, Strut towers have been modified, Wiring is underway, rear guards have been tubbed and front guard lips welded on the rear (are 20mm wider than standard rear guards).

haven't done much due to lack of motivation and spent 5 months unemployed.

But things are picking up again so will crack on and try finish it.

Will post some pictures when I remember to take some.

Please do - project threads + pictures = awesome!

There is more to come shortly. Car is off to the auto sparky Saturday.

Had a little hold up in getting it there (went to Aus for a long over due holiday)

Should be in a position to post some more pics in a couple of weeks.

here is a pic of the rear guard before final positioning

post-451-1283290111.jpg

Without reducing the weight of the car at the moment, light wheels was a good place to start. Plus I got 12 of them for $3K.

Big brakes are a must. No point in not being able to stop.

Another quick update.

Wiring is now all done and finished.

The boys at Blair's Auto Electrical in Paraparaumu have done a fantastic job.

The standard dash cluster is all working, completely new chassis loom, engine loom was reduced to only include what was needed. The whole lot has been tidied up and looking good.

Even has a little bit of trickery for the window auto drop on the drivers side. Sorry guys, no can tell you, but all I can say is they used all standard switches in the doors for this. Oh, and you only need the key for the drivers lock for it to work.

Will post a couple of pictures when I can. Car is currently at work to finish the brake lines, gearbox, clutch, clutch line, strut towers (or I may just make different top hats to achieve what I am after). Then it is home to pull apart and paint it. So looking good for a track outing over the winter series at Manfield this year.

Still waiting for a few parts to arrive from the states, but should hold me up to much.

This project is awesome!!! Its my favorite!!!!!! :) some new pictures?

Hi all,

sorry for being such a slack bugger when it comes to updates and photos, but what I can update on is he following:

Brakes lines done

Clutch now sorted

Exhaust finished

Bar back in the cage under dash (had to lower it 30mm to clear cluster)

Column mount done

Strut tower tops done

Rear camber sorted

Carbon console in progress

To do still:

Drive shaft

wider (again) front and rear guards

Splitter

Carbon door inserts

Carbon rear firewall

Redo carbon dash parts (use finer weave)

Baffle sump

Oil restrictor in head

Pull it all apart and paint it

So plenty of things still to update, photos will come, so don't worry, you'll get to see progress soon.

photo diaries are a must with project threads these days .. explaing all fabrication and ways you solved those pesky problems :P

look awesome dude, will be good to see it finished.

I 'was' the king of procrastination as far as the car project went .. well actually writing an album didnt help the cause :P

I hear you there.

It is hard enough to find the time to build it let along write about what I have done, am going to do and how I solved issues along the way.

Will make some more progress this weekend though with the arrival of my E46 front guards.

So 1 step closer to paint.