Sign in to follow this  
smokenbaby

E36 M3 Racer

Well I have been putting off building a new race car for a while now. The girlfriend wants a house and my parents have only just got their garage back after 10 years.

Why did I decide to build another car? it may be from itchy feet watching good friends racing. But more and likely that fact that I need a project.

E36 rather than E30, was looking around for a cheap E30 coupe to build but was a little disheartened at the lack of good Facelifts at the right price. While searching Trademe I came across an auction for a lefthand E36 door. The photos in the auction showed a whole car so left a cheeky message requesting a price for the complete body. As it turns out it is a Genuine E36 M3 Lefthand drive. The price was right and the steering wheel on the best side possible for a race car. The other reason I choose the E36 is a good friend of mine still has all his E36 Touring car spares of which I am going to buy off him over the build period.

Basic specs will be:

Supertouring spec cage.

Either full house 2ltr touring motor or 2.5 Bathurst motor.

M3 close ratio dog box with Dog engagement (no Syncro's)

Motorsport LSD

Koni coilovers all round

16" BBS Lightweight Motorsport wheels

You get the drift.

This is going to be built over a long period to make sure every detail is followed. Not just a rush job to get it on the track.

Sounds badass!

What you doing with the vaders and the M3 rims?

Excuse my thickness but what do you mean “vadersâ€.

I'm keeping the wheels sorry.

Guest Spargo

The Seats, commonly known as vaders due to their looking like Darth Vader's helmet.

why is the left better for racing?

does that mean your using/not using the s50?

I'll look forward to seeing that.

You know someone who has Supertourer parts? Send me a list, we might buy them.

Outside of Lyall, I'm unsure of anyone who has these laying around, outside of the 3 people who own the 4 cars in NZ.

If you want help sourcing stuff, let me know.

It'll make a nice addition to the open class racing. (Although an E36 M3 with a 4 cylinder motor, might not be eligible).

I'll look forward to seeing that.

You know someone who has Supertourer parts? Send me a list, we might buy them.

Outside of Lyall, I'm unsure of anyone who has these laying around, outside of the 3 people who own the 4 cars in NZ.

If you want help sourcing stuff, let me know.

It'll make a nice addition to the open class racing. (Although an E36 M3 with a 4 cylinder motor, might not be eligible).

Sorry, should have made it slightly clearer. The motor and spares I am referring to are t\from the ex Harris ex Beird ex Richards E36 325i NZ 2ltr Touring car. Aaron Harris is a very good friend of mine and still has most ofthe spares he had when running the car, the only Supertouring parts will be a cage built to the same spec. Sorry for the confussion.

I'll definately be in contact re: part sourcing. Also if you don't mind me picking your brain for info. I have been trying to find info on the Supertouring cars but have drawn a blank. As I don't know Lyall personally (I know of him and International Motorsport) I am sure he would not be forth coming in passing info to me. Pretty much the same as Reg Cooke and Dastun info.

Gus, Left hook is ideal for race car as the BMW motors slant over to the right hand side of the car. By sitting on the left it helps with weight distribution. Plus it is much easier to fit some tasty Exhaust Manifolds as there is no steering knuckle to get in the way.

The Seats, commonly known as vaders due to their looking like Darth Vader's helmet.

Right, I get you now. Car comes with out seats so you are out of luck there sorry. If they were included you would have been more than welcome to them.

Whats the purpose for the car? fun at the track or enter a race series or re-create a classic race car?

:blink:

From what I've just read here, You've got a genuine left hook M3 that you're going to swap a 4cylinder into [is this correct?]

why don't you leave the stock engine in it [if it's euro spec, you'll get over 350 horsey's without affecting longevity] It'll make a great endurance racer.

Put the car on a huge diet, good pads,race springs & tires ,cage & seat etc and get it out there and have some fun!

as their is no longer a 2.0litre touring class, you might as well build a club racer that looks like a touring car.

The stock gearbox ratio's will be ok within the stock M3 rev-range [precision engineering in albany can make the Hubs & Dog rings that you need] Remember some drivers regret having dogboxes

check out the US touring car specs on the net

try http://www.ustcc.com/rulebook.html you'll be surprised how standard thes cars are [you obviously need a MANZ cage etc for NZ]

I'm planning on doing the same to a 635 [my missus decided she looks better in my E36, than a rollcage]

I'll wait untill the novelty wears off [either the beemer with her, or her with me!]

Kerry, I am oh to familiar with the MANZ requirement due to my 10 year history with them.

Just to clear a few things up for peoploe reading this post.

1, I am going to be building this car to be eligable with OSCAR,Sport sedans etc. First I am going to get back to the enjoyment of racing and not chase a series. That will come later.

2, The car will remain 6 cyl. Would be great to slip a super touring 4 cyl in but the cost involved in keeping it together.

3, The cage will be the same spec as a super tourer in the respect it will have the same amount of bars in the same location but will more and likely be made from mild not chromoly.

4, 2ltr Touring car or 2.5ltr Bathurst motor was mentioned due to the fact my friend has them both in his garage. They are not being used and will be available for me to buy. These are being considered only due tothe fact that this will save some cash to start with. The car I bought is a rolling shell. No motor, box interior etc.

Updates will be posted as I go.

As a Roller you can build anything, try and find a non conpliant car to canibalise for the bits. yeah I know what you mean about MANZ ,their officials nearly sh*t themselves when the see JUST a rollover hoop in my Corvette & it's been clocked at 276 kph

[fortunately it's schedule K historic so they cannot touch it]

If You pm me, I know where there is a 325 manual E36 getting parted out ,you could get your running gear from there

My Ex-Wife Couldn't understand why I "needed" 5 race cars,[apparently do whatever you f***ing want, didn't mean what I thought]

their officials nearly sh*t themselves when the see JUST a rollover hoop in my Corvette & it's been clocked at 276 kph

[fortunately it's schedule K historic so they cannot touch it]

I don't think it will be the officials shitting themselves if you have an "off" at that speed!............

If You pm me, I know where there is a 325 manual E36 getting parted out ,you could get your running gear from there

My Ex-Wife Couldn't understand why I "needed" 5 race cars,[apparently do whatever you f***ing want, didn't mean what I thought]

Thanks for the offer. I need to be careful how and when I spend money on this project.

I know exactly what you mean in regards to “do whatever you f***ing want, didn't mean what I thought†have been there done that and believe me it hurts.

I don't think it will be the officials shitting themselves if you have an "off" at that speed!............

the car is the Ex- Tony Roberts Corvette, It has a MANZ homlogated cage,It has a rear Rollover hoop in the cage, but the front rollover hoop goes up under the dash only,similar to Grand-Prix cars.'the officials somehow don't see this bit'

The trouble is, MANZ have uprated their specs since this car was built [everytime there is a new official, I seem to get the "Riot-Act" read to me]

the car is the Ex- Tony Roberts Corvette, It has a MANZ homlogated cage,It has a rear Rollover hoop in the cage, but the front rollover hoop goes up under the dash only,similar to Grand-Prix cars.'the officials somehow don't see this bit'

The trouble is, MANZ have uprated their specs since this car was built [everytime there is a new official, I seem to get the "Riot-Act" read to me]

It may pay for you to get the cage re-homologated. This could be a pain in the ass but am sure Julian will see the merit of it. At least then you have an up to date homologation on it. You would have to be careful of cause that MANZ don't try and outlaw the cage and make you put a new one in. This would destroy the pedigree/historical presense of the car.

I once had a Scrutineer tell me I needed to change the bulbs in the back of my RX7 for the rain lights to be 21w. I told him to piss off and to stop being silly. When he asked me more forcefully (was going to exclude me from the meeting) I complied with his request. When I represented the car he failed me due to the fact I had no brake lights. Well that is what happens when you change a 5w/21w duel filiment bulb with a 21w single filiment bulb. He told me I was a smart ass and to change it back to FACTORY so I put the old bulbs back in. When I asked Julian about this he told me there was no such rule and the Scrutineer was a plonker. How does one hold respect for idiots that can't use common sinse.

Oh well, these things happen.

It may pay for you to get the cage re-homologated. This could be a pain in the ass but am sure Julian will see the merit of it. At least then you have an up to date homologation on it. You would have to be careful of cause that MANZ don't try and outlaw the cage and make you put a new one in. This would destroy the pedigree/historical presense of the car.

The Car is well known in NZ

The Cage is Homologated under schedule A and Schedule AA , The Logbook Classify's the car as Schedule K 'historic'

The problem first arised when I entered a Bent Sprint in the Tokoroa forest [Tarr Hill Road], It was Run by Rally Guy's who weren't familiar with Circuit/Historic Rules .

Plus you need to be a Lawyer to Read the MANZ rulebook correctly, especially T&C regs that have a supplementary rulebook [that the event organisers didn't even know existed]

Been a long time but here is a wee update.

Car has now got the cage in. After talks with MANZ and them telling me I couldn't have a Super Touring cage as they wouldn't Homologate it we settled on the next best thing. My friend Karl built the cage for me as he has over 100 cages under his belt and works for MacBilt Engineering (oh so do I now part time) Basically the cage ties in everything that we deemed it needed to. I'll let the picture tell the story. There are still a couple of things to be welded like the A and B pillar attachments but that will happen when the seat mounts are welded in.

Other than the cage, I have been busy researching suspension and break options. Drawing up new front Moly Arms and attachment mounts and seam welding the chassis.

Well this will do as a bit of a teaser. Enjoy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by smokenbaby

I'd feel pretty safe in that!

That's near identical to my roll cage.

Looking forward to seeing car - will be badass.

Thats looking might mighty cool man. Top job !

Hey Clamp just bought an M3 E36(94 3 litre) myself, might have to copy your cage design looks good to me.

will probably go koni as well, havent checked the OSCA web site do they comply or do we have to run in all commers maybe even muscle cars?

any way will do the BMW open class and enduros if I can raise the funds

cheers

Hove

Guest Phil Ken Sebben

That is a serious cage! Looks great.

Why, specifically, is a supertourer cage unacceptable for homologation?

Hey Clamp just bought an M3 E36(94 3 litre) myself, might have to copy your cage design looks good to me.

will probably go koni as well, havent checked the OSCA web site do they comply or do we have to run in all commers maybe even muscle cars?

any way will do the BMW open class and enduros if I can raise the funds

cheers

Hove

Hey Alex, they comply for OSCAR as it is basically an all commers class anyway. We can also run with Brennon Sport Sedans as they allow a minimum 3ltr and above 6 cyl Natural Asp.

You might be able to help me with some parts. Copy the cage for sure. It is pretty full on and is going to be a pain to paint but sh*t happens. All in the name of safety. I'll be making some pretty cool Suspension parts that you may be interested in also.

We could team up and run a 2 car team in the enduros once they are both finished. I don't mind running carspot on my car. Yes I know I am cheeky.