Sign in to follow this  
smokenbaby

E36 M3 Racer

Look out for a new update. May even start a new thread with a definitive breakdown of what has been done to date. May be in the form or an uploaded word doc with pictures.

Or I will just add to this threat.

Have now finished the cutting, shaping, welding of my front guards.

Edited by smokenbaby

are you using the e46 front gaurds for the rear?

Looking forward to updates

are you using the e46 front gaurds for the rear?

Looking forward to updates

No, I have used the front arches from the E36 guards. They are a 40mm flare. The original rears are only 20mm.

I had looked at all sorts of body kits and different style flares for the car, but none really suited due to $$$ and the fact that I am limited by the width of the wheels I am using (I have 12 of them so don't need to re-spend for different wheels). So I thought, seem BMW spend millions designing the perfect shaped guard for their cars, I would use them. Also make it look factory and only a subtle change. Many will not pick it or work it out.

So I have been trying to post some pictures for an update, but I am unable to upload. You will have to wait now.

But just to let you all know, Debut is next weekend (3rd and 4th Sept) at Manfield. Fingers crossed it all comes together and runs like it should and the performance is not to dismal and embarrasing.

So if anyone is at Manfield that weekend, swing by and have a look. Will beat seeing in the flesh than any picture on here would do it justice.

I really wanna see this but I am in Christchurch!!! Please try to post some pictures :)

So, a quick update.

Manfield practice went well. The car performed great. Had a couple of small issues though that prevented me from Racing the following day.

1, Power steering pump front seal leak (not to much of a show stopper)

2, Wrong diff ratio (so a 4.1 is no good. On the limiter in 5th for 300 meters before breaking point - 195km/h top speed

3, Broke swaybar link mount off the strut.

All in all, I was very happy with it. Rolled off a 23.6 out the box in the first session (only session with everything intact) having no bars on for the 2nd session just didn't work. Bar are a must.

Where to from here? Fix the few little bits, make a couple of other things, change some springs, reset ride height, re-corner weight. Just the normal tweeking.

post-451-1316510423.jpg

post-451-1316510613.jpg

post-451-1316510723.jpg

post-451-1316510742.jpg

Been a bit of a quiet time lately. Spent 3 months in Auckland working and no time on the car. Now back in Wellington so work has been progressing. Got my LSD on Sunday from Kaine (thanks heaps man) and new axles from Aaron H. But there has been a little setback. I took car for a wee drive down the road after fitting the wheels (newly machined) and wouldn't you know, I forgot to put the bonnet pins in. So this week is all about fitting the diff and sorting out the bonnet. Off to Manfield for the first round of the winter series so hopefully a good weekend to be had.

Weekend went well. Knocking on the door of a 1:19 lap. Couple of setup items left to try and then I should be sorted for a base setup.

Sorry, no camera in the car.

May try and sort something out for the next meeting. But in the middle of packing everything up and moving, so may not make the 2nd round of the winter series.

Looks like a fun machine!

Love the effort of stripping it back to the bare shell and respraying it!

Edited by Michael.

Sorry, no camera in the car.

May try and sort something out for the next meeting. But in the middle of packing everything up and moving, so may not make the 2nd round of the winter series.

Give me a yell next meeting, we may be able to put my camera in your car

Could be some updates coming soon.

Few things been in the pipeline for a while and now I have some motivation to make them happen.