Sign in to follow this  
crshbndct

hello guys.. want a bit of advice

i am looking at buying a 1986 325i.

it is a 4 door, with high km's (280) but it is in very good condition for its age. it has a blown head gasket and so comes with a reconditioned 174km engine. i would fit the motor myself, and then probably build up the old motor with for boost.

yes its auto, but looking at trademe, i can get a box for about 700, and the rest of the bits for about another 3-400 to make it manual, so thats first on the list. after swapping the motor obviously.

is the car and engine for $1200 a good deal? it has the supar stylee brown cloth interior, which is not cool. but seems to be otherwise in really good condition.

cheers for all reaplies guys

oh and btw other cars are:

1993 holden calais 5.0 with 328rwhp

1993 toyota corolla xl 1.3 with ass dyno 35fwhp(being sold to pay for 325)

1991 suzuki gsxr400

Yeah so long as the body is rust free and all the bits are there 1200 is ok. My only question is on the doner engine. At 174km, these engines dont need reconditioned unless the head has cracked or the cambelt wasnt changed and slipped so see if you can find out what exactly has been done to it ie receipts!! You will probably spend another 3 to 4K making it into the car you like and tending to the running gear thats worn out after 260 km's unless it has been replaced over time. So unless you (as some of us do) like mucking around with cars, there are a heap of nice condition E30's on trademe that are in going condition for reasonable dollars that may end up being a cheaper proposition.

Edited by ducatiss

Yeah so long as the body is rust free and all the bits are there 1200 is ok. My only question is on the doner engine. At 174km, these engines dont need reconditioned unless the head has cracked or the cambelt wasnt changed and slipped so see if you can find out what exactly has been done to it ie receipts!! You will probably spend another 3 to 4K making it into the car you like and tending to the running gear thats worn out after 260 km's unless it has been replaced over time. So unless you (as some of us do) like mucking around with cars, there are a heap of nice condition E30's on trademe that are in going condition for reasonable dollars that may end up being a cheaper proposition.

well thanks for the advice

i looked on trademe and found a 88 325i with 129km.. it was $1500 buy now and looked tidy enough so i hit buy now and i pick it up on monday

black on black leather.

auto (but i have got the cash sitting there ready to do the manula swap)

had new cambelt and full service from bmw at 120km