Sign in to follow this  
Dnz

My 325 hates me, but i still love it!

This was originally written for BFC, so yeah excuse me if it sounds 'removed'..!

When i got the 325, it was a damn good price, and in damn good condition..

Im just writing this post to outline the problems ive had, so maybe others can see what to look out for when buying.. I feel like im having every e36 problem out there!

I got it on March 1 this year, with 105k km on it (slightly over 65K miles) and its a 94 Mtec 325 Coupe in Cosmos.

When i got it, i had it serviced.. They said everything was cool

Then i had the belts replaced

Then the Left fog light cracked (its still going to this day and i aint replacing it!)

Then i Had the heater tap fixed

Then my center brake light bulb needed replacing..

Then the windows got stuck on the way up, but some silicon or whatever in the channels fixed that up...

Then I had a mystery leak which made the coolant run out every 2 weeks or so..

We found out it was the heater core, so had that replaced (dash out and EVERYTHING)

While that was done, they also replaced the microfilters (2) which were completely black and clogged

Then a bulb on my OBC went out... replaced that

Then i could hear my vanos vibrate at a specific RPM (around 1500) Still quite quiet, not feeling any change..

Then the left front lowbeam went out, replaced that (btw, why does a plain bulb cost me 8.75 NZ and the BLUE bulbs cost 35.99? Is that the price to have it at a bluer hue??)

Then the Center interior comfort light died..

Today i noticed that my vanos was in fact getting louder, and that up top (after 4/5K rpm) the 325 wouldnt pull as hard, and rev very slowly to the top (even hesitate a little)..

I also noticed a NEW green puddle in my garage so maybe the waterpump is dying.

And about 30 minutes ago the RIGHT low beam went out.

My credit card and bank accout are screaming for mercy, but i still love it. I spend twice as much a week on petrol now too!

I got mechanical insurance a while ago, so it covers SOME of the costs ive had (like the heater core cost me 500 NZ and the insurance paid the other 700, and it picked up about 300NZ for the heater tap)...

So yeah, just sharing my problems! I still love driving it, its been the best 3 months (nearly). I really hope that these costs settle down soon though, as i am a university student, and i have no money for anything other than my car at the moment!! (and i have to buy textbooks for next semester in like 4 weeks!)

Have any of you had this many little problems with your 'new' 325's? I know its a 10 year old car, its just funny that it all seems to happen to me at once!

Oh yeah, also, whats the point of the blueish bulbs as opposed to the plain white ones? Do they make you see better? Are they worth the cost of 4 regular bulbs? Coz otherwise ill just take out my 'new' blue bulb and put in the cheap white ones!

Thanks for listening!

Hang in there, when I first got my car it has all sorts of teething problems like yours is having.

You will soon get them sorted (and most of yours are minor so far), and then you will have trouble free motoring.

Remember, you have bought a 10 year old car, with a relatively unknown history, and there are bound to be a few bits and pieces on the way out.

In a years time, you will be laughing about it.

Keep your chin up...

Cheers

I hear ya, I've had my 535 about as long as you and its cost me a small forutune so far. But, rather perversly, I love every minute of it!! Gives me such a rush when the courier arrives with a box from Shelly BMW just for me......

As for blue bulbs, this is quite a good site for info:

bulb and lighting info

"For best headlamp performance and best value, choose only bulbs with clear glass.

Daniel Stern Lighting (Daniel J. Stern, Proprietor)"

Looks like im gonna be taking the broken and the blue one out, and buying the cheaper ones. Tricked again! BLUE wont make it better, but it makes it more expensive...

AND theyre like 4 bucks cheaper from Jerry Clayton in Epsom, than at repco!

Edited by Dnz

Guest Andrew

When I got my 325 the motor died - beat that! Ending up costing $8000 .. but its sure sweet now.

Guest Spargo

Get to work you slack bastard! (andrew)

Heh, i've spent 5K in the last 6 weeks, its all gravy. Good thing i'm flicking the bastard for something a little less modern, but with a cra load more speed.

really $8K, incl buying the car I hope!!!

You really need to scan the invoice in for us to see andrew!!!

haha no....the 8k didnt include the car buy! as for annoying little problems....my car pwns all...sh*t loads of bits missing....im too lazy to list them all! but its a lot!

Guest Andrew

We should make all noobs read this thread.. hahah

Yeah - don't buy a BMW.

Glenn - yip thats 8k. Remember a set of Bilstein sports etc etc virtually everything mechanical in the car is new.