Sign in to follow this  
piriaka

E39 - Issues - Help!

Hi, Everyone

I have a couple of issues I am seeking advice about please.

The first is -my car is ex Singapore, and I think I have read somewhere that the heater itself is disconnected on cars in Singapore. This would be consistent with only getting warm air out of the central face level vents. Can anyone advise if this could be the case - that the heater is disconnected - and if so, what is the story an\bout reversing the situation??

The second is that the car has had the rear door cards off a few times - by the BMW dealer - whilst that (finally) got their act together and stopped the water larking into the rear floor wells. Anyway, the rear clip of the wood fillet is not holding the wood fillets in. Not too sure what this suggests, but, I am seeking the wisdom of the reader here please.

Thanks all

Regards

Ray

Rear door leaks are quite common in E39s.

You need to replace the rubber gunky gluey stuff that seals the moisture stopper (plastic sheet) against the door frame. If not 100% sealed then water gets through the gaps and into the car.

The sealer is Butyl rubber, use only the original BMW stuff, sticks like glue, really good. I did my rear doors when one started leaking. No problems ever since. I used the genuine BMW butyl rubber, costs peanuts 8about $10 to $20 for enough for both rear doors)

And it's wise to check and repair all 4 doors at the same time: if the butyl has failed on one door, it may soon fail on the other doors, given that the butyl rubber is the same age on all four doors...

And make sure you park the car in the sun all day long with all doors open to fully dry out the car! lift the carpets if you can...

As for the wood - if the clips don't hold, and you've tried new clips, then you'll have to resort to glue or replacing whichever part has been deformed - but if the deformed part is the door panel, then glue might be the best bet.