Sign in to follow this  
sam726

Just Bought A Run Down BMW (1977 525)

Some progress today. Got the bmw to the petrol station after a smokey sprint down the road and stuck in some more petrol to freshen up the sh*t in there at the moment, pumped up the tyres at the same time. I also got a carb cleaner and gave the carb a freshen up which worked ok, car is definitely less smokey now and idles a lot nicer although i can still tell it needs more work on the carb and probably a valve adjustment.

Have also started to strip the car. Currently the boot is stripped, some interior stripped and will be continuing when i get a spare moment to get the rest out and carpets out.

First 2 pictures show how the car was running a few days ago when it had sh*t in the muffler, not fun.

post-5845-1278041632.jpg

post-5845-1278041637.jpg

post-5845-1278041647.jpg

post-5845-1278041653.jpg

post-5845-1278041658.jpg

post-5845-1278041664.jpg

post-5845-1278041669.jpg

Hey does anybody know where i can get a handbrake cable for the car from? Im wondering whether anyone has a good second hand one i can buy otherwise a brand new one is 95+gst from mcmillans bmw which isnt a bad price but if i could get a second hand one for cheap i would prefer to do that so i could use the extra money for other things i have to do/buy for the car.

Hey does anybody know where i can get a handbrake cable for the car from? Im wondering whether anyone has a good second hand one i can buy otherwise a brand new one is 95+gst from mcmillans bmw which isnt a bad price but if i could get a second hand one for cheap i would prefer to do that so i could use the extra money for other things i have to do/buy for the car.

Not too many E12's floating around now. Kerry on here (Mosens in Hamilton) said he had an E12, check with him

Good work bro... keep polishing!! Is it warrantable or will it need to be complied again?

Good work bro... keep polishing!! Is it warrantable or will it need to be complied again?

Hey mate, hopefully its warrantable haha a bit more work to get it there though. The rego is still on hold thoguh so no need to recomply just get a warrant and renew the rego. Should be good. Main things are rust, brakes incl. handbrake, i think it'll need new tyres and just a general service of the engine and clean up. And probably a bit of suspension work aswell. Edited by Sam G

You. are you the same person who walked onto the yard and joked about the drunk chick who was in the showroom still walking home from the night before, I thought it was your mrs... haha

Sam: Looking like its comming along nicely, leather looks like its still in good nick too. I got a few threads on restoration for leather to make it mint again. This is a mean project haha Im almost inspired to get a project car....

Sam: Looking like its comming along nicely, leather looks like its still in good nick too. I got a few threads on restoration for leather to make it mint again. This is a mean project haha Im almost inspired to get a project car....

Hopefully all the work will pay off haha. A project car is pretty fun to have if you can ignore the numerous cobwebs, spiders and bugs, ignore the dirty clothing and hands and the scratches and sh*t you get from all sorts of things hanging out of the car that catch you. Also im trying to get the carpet out at the moment and it seems a bit wedged up the very front of the car behind the fan unit so that could be interesting to get out and then have to replace it with some new carpet. Its still starting nice and quickly although it was puffing a bit of smoke today for some reason, engine work is definitely on the list of things to do. I was hoping to get it on the road by the end of the holidays and worry about the small things later but not sure how easily i'll be able to do that.

Oh and the leather seems ok in general although there are some really large dark marks which im worrying about being able to remove, might have to look up your threads.

Could anbody tell me how to remove the speedo cluster in an e12? I've got the bottom of the dash off under the steering wheel but just cant seem to see any screws or bolts holding it in place. A quick search of the internet has proved unuseful also. I need to remove a spider and some cobwebs from inside the cluster and put in a new bulb aswell.

In other news the carpet is out now, still have to rip out all the sound deadening stuff aswell but shouldnt be too difficult.

post-5845-1278478146.jpg

post-5845-1278478152.jpg

post-5845-1278478157.jpg

Edited by Sam G

im impressed with how clean it is under the carpet

im impressed with how clean it is under the carpet

Hey kerry when you said you had an e12 you wanted to part with did you want to get rid of the whole thing or sell off parts?

what ever you want man.

what ever you want man.

Hows the handbrake?

il have a look tomorow for you, pm me if i forget

il have a look tomorow for you, pm me if i forget

Cheers that'd be great, also if yours has good shocks i might be keen to buy those off you aswell. Thanks heaps mate.

here's some pics for you.

post-4759-1278538298.jpg

post-4759-1278538314.jpg

post-4759-1278538328.jpg

post-4759-1278538362.jpg

should add its a 1974 525 e12 chassis # 4530303

What are you looking to do with it once all the maintenance is done?

Hey mate at this stage im not quite sure, once i get it roadworthy ill probably drive it around for a while and see how it goes and if its worth keeping otherwise it'd be back on the market. At the moment though i havent done much to it. Slowly doing rust repair and need to track down some spare parts to get it back on the road so i can reassemble the interior and clean it all up.

Its an unfortunate time, my daily driver needs a lot more work than i thought to keep it on the road so im just wondering if anyone wants to take over the project? If anyones interested make me an offer by pm'ing me. If i dont get an offer ill keep it for now but wont be able to do anything for a while until i get my current one back on the road :D

Its an unfortunate time, my daily driver needs a lot more work than i thought to keep it on the road so im just wondering if anyone wants to take over the project? If anyones interested make me an offer by pm'ing me. If i dont get an offer ill keep it for now but wont be able to do anything for a while until i get my current one back on the road :D

Ah, thats a shame Sam. Its a great looking car, if you can just try and hold onto it!

Ah, thats a shame Sam. Its a great looking car, if you can just try and hold onto it!

It is pretty bad, its just annoying that at this time my everyday car needs full set of shocks and tyres aswell as work on the power steering system and as its just run out of warrant it needs the work done soon and i would've had the money to do it had i not just had to go and book new years plans which wiped out a significant amount of the bank. Ofcourse being a student means that if i were to rely on my income alone it would take about 2 months to get enough money to put the daily back on the road but i might have to just pull some strings and see what i can do.

Dont want to let the e12 go but i might just have to be.

damn love that colour. whats da colour name on that?

jadegrun i believe