Sign in to follow this  
djs325

DBA 4000 Series Rotors for the BMW E30

Hey guys, thought I'd let you in on a deal I've been working on for some time now. DBA doesn't currently make a 4000 series version (better vents, better iron etc etc etc) of the E30 325/318 vented front rotor. I've been working to change that.

OK - the details:

DBA 4000 Series

**Key Features**

-Heavy duty performance direct replacement disc rotor

-Thermo-Graphic paint markings for temperature monitoring

-Thermal Stability Profiling (TSP) enhances the microstructure of the disc rotor and provides better overall braking performance

-Rapidly expels friction gases and minimises brake fade

-Direct fit replacement part no modifications required

This version will be the 6x6 Wiper-Slot version, similar to this rotor shown below:

Posted Image

The part numbers will be DBA4679SL (left hand slotted) and DBA4679SR (right hand slotted). DBA will be remodeling the original Australia E30 rotor casting for the 4000 series features. These rotors will be cast and machined in Australia at DBA's factory.

BDA Motorsport (Brake Distributors Australia) in Arundel/Gold-Coast in QLD will be acting as the agent for these. Trevor runs a fantastic brake/clutch/suspension specialty business and has helped me greatly over the last 2 years. Here's the blurb from their website: BDA Motorsport

Brake Distributors of Australia are a supplier of high performance road and motor sport disc rotors, brake pads, brake upgrade kits and clutch kits, including custom built clutches and accessories.

We are authorised distributors for Race Brakes components, DBA disc rotors, Daikin Clutch kits, EBC, Hawk and Endless brake pads, PBR Clutch kits, and Earl’s components, as well as authorised resellers of PFC, Ferodo, Mintex, Pagid, and AP Racing clutches and brake components.

Currently, pricing will be A$175 per rotor, so budget on A$350 per PAIR. Trevor can arrange freight around Australia for A$20 a pair, which is an excellent deal -> A$370 delivered. Freight to NZ is unknown at this time, but if you are interested then please contact Trevor.

Trevor has informed me that he needs orders for 50 rotors or 25 pairs. He will require a deposit in good faith. I have already committed to buy the first 10 rotors. This means that we need orders for 20 pairs. Once we have 50 ordered and deposited for, DBA will cast, treat, machine, paint, pack and ship the rotors. It should be 3-4 weeks once the target (50) has been reached and the order to DBA is placed.

If you could be so kind as to contact Trevor via his website or phone call, and tell him that you are after the DBA 4000 for BMW E30s Group Buy, that would be fantastic.

This is virtually a carbon copy of my post on the thread on ECCA, but please let me know if anyone is interested in these. I should mention that these discs meet the requirements for the BMW Race Driver Series E30 Class, as they are of one-piece steel construction and dimensions 260x22mm.

Good news guys - the batch just got signed off last week, so you'll need to get organised soon!

To be honest I thought there would at least be some questions by now - no one is interested?

I guess the price is the main issue, they'd be $500 a pair landed here.

+1

Yes, there is the small issue of your dollar being quite sh*t right now. I remember back when it was basically a GST calculation - add 10% and she's sorted!

Will let you guys know how we find them!

Just to let you guys know, the batch finally came out after a few hiccups. There are only a few rotors left, and they'll probably get sold this week.

Worked out at A$380 pair plus shipping, given the sh*t state of your exchange rate for imports, this is about $515 plus shipping.

Look forward to letting you know how they work out (most will be using PFC06 pads).

They came out looking pretty good, and response has been fantastic to these new rotors. The first batch of 50 is all sold out, might be able to get my hands on some more if demand is there. Please let me know.

post-1563-1302341886.jpg

Really? No interest? Shame. Will have to wait until the currency exchange is not as sh*te.

Well guys, they're all gone now. Might be able to get my hands on a few more, but the group buy price has now ended. Would have thought that at least ONE NZ competitor would have tried these.

Well guys, they're all gone now. Might be able to get my hands on a few more, but the group buy price has now ended. Would have thought that at least ONE NZ competitor would have tried these.

Not at that price - we can do a full season on a set of BMW rotors for less than half the price of the the DBA rotors. They look good - how do they perform?

Feedback so far has been very positive. The rotors show minimal signs of wear after several days of track abuse. The thermal paint has been a great indicator of who's really using their brakes. In conjunction with PFC06 compound pads, the package is very consistent and reliable - total axle cost quite reasonable!

The new slot pattern is also quite nice, as it means you don't have left and right hand rotors; and the slots don't go all the way to the edge, which prolongs life.

Unfortunately in Australia, buying genuine BMW rotors from the dealership is more expensive than the DBAs. A$360 a pair from me, which is much less than an equivalent 4000 series for any other model from other suppliers.

As an added observation, we're using 325i based cars that build up a more speed between corners than the 318i/320i series cars, so would have to use more brake more often.

Not at that price - we can do a full season on a set of BMW rotors for less than half the price of the the DBA rotors. They look good - how do they perform?

Edited by djs325