Sign in to follow this  
Napier_E36

Manualing my E36

Hay, I have a 95 325i BMW, it is an auto - only E36 I could find when I was in the market for 1.

I am quite keen on chucking in a manual box. Has anyone out there done this? I would be keen on any info as to how easy this is and rough approximations of cost etc...

I know that I will need a manual 'box (another auto would defeat the purpose)

a manual pedal box (stands to reason!)

a clutch (duh!)

some one I spoke to said that I would need to get a manual computer. Is this correct or have I been told a heap of bullshit?

Is there anything else that I will be needing for the job?

and would anyone know of a reputable place to get a decent gearbox?

Im guessing that this is going to cost a lot - but i feel it will be worth it in the long run - especially for resale (being quite hard to come by in manual!)

Ive posted a pic of the suspect - basically for the hell of it!!! hehe :D

cheers

Blair. :D

post-6-1074147741.jpg

Hi Blair

Ring Steve at SD European (you will get his number from www.sdeuropean.co.nz - I can't remember it off hand)

He has converted a number of E36 auto's to manual.

He also converted my E30 to manual, and did a really good job.

Good Luck

Cheers

Napier E36 - let me know what price he gives ya.. would be good to know!

Manual would probably decrease the resale price, as auto would actually be better as it can attract a larger market..

Also, the second you start changing the car from its original form, you affect the resale value...but this not bother me, as being an E30, mine is worth far more to me, than I would get for it anyway.

However, manual (non M3) E36's are bloody hard to find, so this might actually add a premium to its value (for the rarity factor).

Cheers

a premium IF you find a buyer - theres a reason theres only auto's coming into the country...

But yeah, let us know what it costs!

Buy a 5 speed car from an insurance auction, you will be able to get a whole car for less than the cost of the parts you need . I have bought 2 e30 from Turners damaged car auctions both for under $1000 , e36 are usually a little more. Ive seen a 93 325 manual hit in the rear sell for $2500 .

SD Euro quoted me around $3G for all the parts brand new and maybe in the car?? i cant really remember :wacko:

Hay thanks guys - Ill let you know how I get on - It is bloody hard to find manuals anywhere in the e36s. I did try SD European when I initially decided I wanted to manual it, I sent them an email asking if they could hook me up with the parts etc, and I got an email back saying that they had nothing and that was all I heard from them! I have been looking on Tau-net to try and import a manual wreck - but as they are so hard to come by, I havnt had much luck!!! Maybe I should just find a wrecked M3 and chuck all its goodies into my 325! (just leave it with the 2 BMW badges as it is now, and no one would know what its got!) But they are as hard to come across as manual e36s!!! :D

it will also be a hard job trying to find a wrecked m3 anywaere it would cost lots to import ..i dnt even know if ur allowed to import crashed cars?

it will also be a hard job trying to find a wrecked m3 anywaere it would cost lots to import ..i dnt even know if ur allowed to import crashed cars?

Yes ,you are allowed to import crashed cars .

yeah you can import wrecked cars, its just a matter of what you are aloud to repair and register on the roads here - Ive been looking on tau-net.co.jp for a wrecked manual bimmer - the E36s are usually about 2 - 3g, as yet i havnt found a manual! However I did find a 94 320i that had had a bit of a side on crash - nothing too bad repairable as, and they wanted 2000 for it - it had adjustable suspension, front and back momo strut braces, 16 inch tsw trophies, full exhaust system and a few other goodies... I was very close to buying it - you know, getting the parts I wanted, selling the rest to cover my costs (like the right hand side, bonnet, boot, lights etc) made more than it cos me in other words, but the f**king thing sold before I could register an interest! when I looked at it it was still available, when I went to make an offer it came up as sold! gutted! (it would have cost a total of 4 - 5g to get it to my place - thats purchase price and shipping costs, it was still driveable too so i coulda taken it for a thrash when i got it!) but oh well, there will be another one - maybe the next one will be manual?!!! :D

Guest hizza bizza

Buy a 5 speed car from an insurance auction, you will be able to get a whole car for less than the cost of the parts you need . I have bought 2 e30 from Turners damaged car auctions both for under $1000 , e36 are usually a little more. Ive seen a 93 325 manual hit in the rear sell for $2500 .

hey man, I'm looking at converting my e30, hadnt even thought of going through auctions to buy a wreck and getting all the components out of it. Take it you go to the auctions in aucks? how often do they auction of wrecks?

Cheers

hizza

Edited by hizza bizza

Guest Andrew

hey man, I'm looking at converting my e30, hadnt even thought of going through auctions to buy a wreck and getting all the components out of it. Take it you go to the auctions in aucks? how often do they auction of wrecks?

Cheers

hizza

or you could buy a conversion kit for 750+ G.S.T from Manukau Eurospares.

Guest hizza bizza

Cheers

hizza

or you could buy a conversion kit for 750+ G.S.T from Manukau Eurospares.
oh yeah, sounds pretty sweet.Take it thats everything - box, clutch,pedal box etc?

Cheers

hizza

Hey Hizza bizza, usually the auction up here has a couple of BMWs every week, not always manual e30 though .If you want something in particular PM me and Ill see if I can find it, I work down the road from the auction anyway.

japan might not be the palce too look for manual BMW's..coz thats where lots of our imports come from and we still get all the autos. :mellow:

i hear South Africa is the place..now if only i could find some wreckers over there so i could import a 328 manual GB ....or damaged car...for myself...

japan might not be the palce too look for manual BMW's..coz thats where lots of our imports come from and we still get all the autos. :mellow:

i hear South Africa is the place..now if only i could find some wreckers over there so i could import a 328 manual GB ....or damaged car...for myself...

yeah the south africans are right into their bimmers a... but they are also built to a different spec arent they??? i cant remember whats different, but apparently they are a bit.... but who gives a sh*t when your taking the pedal box and gearbox and sh*t like that out a!!! I found some polish wreckers selling wrecked e46 diesel bimmers - they looked pretty sweet, and they were manual, but a diesel bimmer??? hmmmmmmmm

Guest Andrew

yeah the south africans are right into their bimmers a... but they are also built to a different spec arent they??? i cant remember whats different, but apparently they are a bit.... but who gives a sh*t when your taking the pedal box and gearbox and sh*t like that out a!!! I found some polish wreckers selling wrecked e46 diesel bimmers - they looked pretty sweet, and they were manual, but a diesel bimmer??? hmmmmmmmm
little things on SA bimmers (for e30 at least) different wheels, higher, diff motor (leaded fuel) etc