Sign in to follow this  
ntaylor90

M50 block 2.8l turbo project questions

Hi all!

I have just come across an m50 block which I picked up yesterday. It's in a really good condition apart from a minuscule lip on the top of the bore, nothing major just from use over time. The m50 is going to be my base for a turbo project I am doing, but what I am wondering is this:

I was originally planning an m50 2.8 stroker using the m50 block with everything moved across from the m52b28 and then arp/mls headgasket/front bottom mount, etc. I was going to get the m50 bore re-honed but do you think, with even a tiny lip, that it will need to be rebored to allow for the higher moving piston due to the increased stroke? If this is the case will it be more economical to wait for an entire m50b25 and just turbo that, or rebore the m50 block and continue as planned, and how much is it usually to get a block rebored? The only other thing I am worried about here is that due to the block being slightly worn, a rebore to original standards is impossible due to the wear? Like you can't rebore 84mm if the bore has been worn out to 84.02mm or something?

Thank you in advance,

Nick

if your going to the trouble of doing this then a re bore is my pick

im also finding MLS gaskets a pain and not that clever if you would like to know more pm me

Is this a cast iron block? If so don't worry too much about a rebore. If you decide to clean up the bore then you may need oversize pistons and rings to suit. Most aftermarket piston and ring manufactures hold stock of slightly larger pistons etc because most rebuilds do include a bore hone.

oh and also most manufacturers hold at least two sizes of oversize piston and ring sets. so you can accommodate secondary rebuilds. After that, you're either looking at custom internals or sleeving the block.