Sign in to follow this  
Rampant_Lion

e60 MY08 Jap Spec Nav options

Ok, I've looked on a bunch of forums and can't find a definative answer. Figured NZ forum might be best place to ask. I have a Jap Spec 08 e60 and I am looking for options to get the Nav and TV working.

AutoGravity says they can reprogram the existing hardware for the Nav. How is this possible? I thought the only solution was a whole CCC replacement. Has anyone done this or dealt with Autogravity?

Alternately I am in Wellington, anyone know of local solutions?

Finally, as I understand it, NZ's Digital TV is a different standard to most of the world eg. MPEG4 rather than MPEG2 or something along those lines. Did any of the NZ New models come with working TV or is this simply not something BMW supported for the e60 analogue/digital TV receivers?

Any experiences or advice is appreciated.

Hi Bud, I got mine done from Mark at capital auto electricians in Wellington. They all seem to know each other and do work for each other...Mark seems like a great guy, but two things happened - they loaded first software wrong and in the process delete my under seat speaker from making noise...and had to get back the next day to re-programe. Then the reception on the radio is really grap, worst than my girlfriends car with no ariel plug in, can't get any radio stations unless right in perfect signal. Mark, was going to try find a solution and get back to me, but never did and I haven't followed up - it's a know issue with iDrive upgrades from Japan...but Autogravity have a fix apparently.

Good luck and hope that helps. Oh, GPS works perfect.

Cheers, yeah spoke to Mark about a couple things along these lines already. Good to hear I don't need to go to AKL for the job to be done. I did see your other post about your experience though and a little nervous about stuffing up/bricking the system as a whole.

Also ~$700 seem $$$ to me if they are hooking up a computer and reprogramming the existing hardware, I suppose its a sellers market though. Re: The GPS I assume the reprogram also came with new DVD disc's and maps for NZ right?

Is suppose the other question of you I have is, is it worth it? Are the BMW nav and maps as good as a aftermarket Sat Nav? I hate the idea of my system being half baked the way it is but I find most in-dash GPS systems are pretty sub-standard.

Edited by Rampant_Lion

Firstly, I paid $600 including gst. I got radio, gps setup with new nz maps - no disc. Personally, I wanted to do it properly; which Mark did and the system works perfectly accept for the radio reception. After Christmas I will follow up to get this element sorted properly.

Fully worth doing properly instead of after market gsp system added- but that's my thoughts and others probably feel differently.

Cheers,

Good to hear, thanks for your feedback. Cars booked in @ Capital next week to look at an Active Steering issue so I'll press for more info then.