jonoe30

Best Run Flats

30 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Interesting, I have never seen a BMW tyre specification include a brand / variety for anything other than the high- performance models, M cars and M140i / M240i, etc.

As I have the full M-sport package, I suspect this applies; - "The Potenza RE050A II RFT (Run-Flat Tire) is Bridgestone's Max Performance Summer run-flat tire developed exclusively for selected BMW 3 Series cabriolets, coupes and sedans equipped with BMW's optional sport packages. " - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE050A+II+RFT

48 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

i can understand your view, those "mechanical insurance" policies look for any thing to avoid paying out.

Yeah ... the way insurance companies work ... if they can find a way to not to pay out, they will.  So not really worth the risk

Sad to say Runflats do have to be considered on later BMW's as there is no room for a proper spare. I worry that if I go away on a weekend or worse a holiday weekend I have to rely on my can of tyre goop. BMW efficiency ie less weight because of no extra wheel or tyre does have a downside. Run Flats for some people are sadly a real world requirement. I had two sets of RE 050 RFT's on my E60 the first were old and subjectively hard, a second set felt much better and were only a year or so old. So yes age makes a big difference.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, KiwiTT said:

I have decided to go with the Bridgestone RE050A RFT as these are the ones that BMW specify, and as I have a 4 year Autosure warranty, and should I develop a suspension fault in those 4 years (the likely life of my tyres - I do about 7,500km a year), they won't have an 'out' because I have non-OEM tyres.

Did this issue come from your imagination or did you actually ask Autosure about this? I don't believe they would do this, it would be absurd.

I have had several Autosure claims - they have lost money on me and they have never given me any trouble with claims. 

Use runflats if you feel comfortable with them, no need to come up with silly justifications like that. To be honest, this gives me the impression you worry about unnecessary/minor things.

Edited by Matth5
1 person likes this

Sure is heading that way , but for the moment we have real spares on all our vehicles even the Saab which came with a space saver which was chronically undersized 70mm too small in diameter  but hey that is the standard of compliance checking in NZ - Poverty pack Vectra wheel fits in the hole just  and is a 195  vs 225 road wheels.

Well I have the RE050As on and the car feels much more composed.  Now to see how they will feel in the wet.

Probably helped that the wheels were balanced and also had a wheel alignment which showed it was significantly out.  Also comes with lifetime puncture warranty, so I will get a new tyre if I get a puncture, until they are worn out.

As I do about 7,500km per year ... it will take ages for them to wear out.

Edited by KiwiTT