Sign in to follow this  
stevebh

320i Head Unit Removal

Im trying to remove my factory head unit but having a little trouble. I pull back the clip like it says in the owners manual but then what? Ive tried to remove it but it wont budge. Any ideas?

What model 320?

1995 e36 not to sure the model of the head unit

Open the covers like you've done, then use an allen key to unscrew the screws, there are two. One on the left, one on the right. In actual fact it's not exactly the allen key shape I believe, but allen keys work fine and I believe 99% of people use allen keys :) I've never stripped them just don't overtorque them.

Open the covers like you've done, then use an allen key to unscrew the screws, there are two. One on the left, one on the right. In actual fact it's not exactly the allen key shape I believe, but allen keys work fine and I believe 99% of people use allen keys :) I've never stripped them just don't overtorque them.

Yea got that far but having trouble removing the wiring loom at the back of the head unit that all the wires connect to so i can actually remove the head unit completely. I slid the bracket forward like the little diagram on it say to do but then cant remove the wiring loom etc. Cheers for your help

I had the same problem with the wiring loom.

In the end I just hacked the wires off and hard wired the new head unit up.

Yea thats exactly what i im gonna have to do. That bracket will not budge, even with a bit of encouragement from a screw driver. How did you mount your head unit? Havent really seen a place i can screw it into etc.

As luck would have it I didnt need to screw anything in. I inserted the mounting cage that came with the headunit. It was pretty tight and needed a couple of taps with a hammer but now its in there and its not coming out or moving in a hurry. Once that was in I can now just slide the headunit in and out on the cage, it sits pretty snuggly so havn't had any problems with it moving or anything. Would make it pretty easy to steal mind due.

P.S FYI -

As you are hardwiring you might find that you have a couple of random wires left over.

One of these wires I had no idea about.

The other one I later found out when trying to drive that night was for my interior lights, incl instrument cluster.

So make sure you test them all and connect all that need to be connected as taking the whole thing out again and retesting at 9pm on a Saturday night is not fun.

P.S FYI -

As you are hardwiring you might find that you have a couple of random wires left over.

One of these wires I had no idea about.

The other one I later found out when trying to drive that night was for my interior lights, incl instrument cluster.

So make sure you test them all and connect all that need to be connected as taking the whole thing out again and retesting at 9pm on a Saturday night is not fun.

Hahaha cheers for all our help ill make sure to test them all first. Have you had any experience with connecting the standard Cd Shuttle aswell by any chance?

If you mean the cd stacker in the boot ... mine didn't play mp3s or burnt cds so I didnt bother. I hacksawed it off after managing to strip the mounting nuts that hold the stacker on to the boot roof... needed to make rooom for the subs some how :)

Good luck dude, let me know if you get stuck and ill help as best I can.

If you mean the cd stacker in the boot ... mine didn't play mp3s or burnt cds so I didnt bother. I hacksawed it off after managing to strip the mounting nuts that hold the stacker on to the boot roof... needed to make rooom for the subs some how :)

Good luck dude, let me know if you get stuck and ill help as best I can.

Will do man, cheers for all ya help, ill let you know how it goes

Yea thats exactly what i im gonna have to do. That bracket will not budge, even with a bit of encouragement from a screw driver. How did you mount your head unit? Havent really seen a place i can screw it into etc.

HOLD ON! Don't cut it up just yet. It WILL come off with a little effort using a flathead screwdriver in the right place. The first time I did it, I took at least 20 minutes trying to get that thing off. You're supposed to pull upwards to loosen it, it's basically 2 pieces that slide opposite ways (upwards and downwards). The piece that slides downwards has 2 pins sticking out (1 left, 1 right). The piece that slides upwards has a track on each side to slide on these pins.

What you need to do is use as big a flathead screwdriver as you can find, and put it into the top of the bit that slides upwards (I believe it has a little diagram showing you how to remove it). Then, lever it by pushing the screwdriver handle upwards. It should get it off :)

If you've already tried that, I suggest you try again, because it will come off for sure, it's just a plastic part that's been frozen through time. It's not worth cutting the loom.

Yea got that far but having trouble removing the wiring loom at the back of the head unit that all the wires connect to so i can actually remove the head unit completely. I slid the bracket forward like the little diagram on it say to do but then cant remove the wiring loom etc. Cheers for your help

Just saw this post :P If you've gotten that far, you're VERY close. you just need to slide it up a bit more, IIRC mine does a little click to open up 100% for the loom to slide out. You just have to open it up that much more. If you've gotten the top bit more or less open you can probably use your fingers to yank it up. Once it's totally up, the loom will just come off.

Good luck!