Sign in to follow this  
Guest Speedye30

Hands up who knows what a CNC machine is?

Guest Speedye30

I have potential access to CNC machine tools. These are very powerful and can make many bits. Other interesting things they can do:

Drill different pcd patterns on alloy wheels.

Carve just about anything from solid material.

Who is interested?

Guest Spargo

To do alloys, you'd need blanks from the manufacturer? (Oh god, 4x100 BBS LM's, here we come!)

Guest Speedye30

You are a law student, huh? hehe

You can have more than one pcd on a wheel (remember multifits?)

Of course re-drilling a 4 stud wheel is the easiest (you just have the patterns 45 deg out of phase.)

And you can drill 4x100 onto a 5x120 wheel with no hole overlap

Guest Speedye30

Only thing to watch out for: offset needs to be right.

Redrilled mags are fine, but spacer plates are a no-no with the law.

Our e30s are 35mm positive correct? (thats with the bottlecaps, wider rims need to be less positive)

Guest Spargo

Yea, i'm an engineer too.

I know, but would that not weaken the wheel, and look, well, slightly "ghetto" as that is what many mutlifit chromes / wheels for Japanese cars have.

Ideally, a set of Alpina 17" rims, as then you could hide the multifit behind the wheel covers! Awesome. Hmm, I may have to reconsider my shelling out for 16x7f 16x8r Alpina rims.

Guest Spargo

I think spacers are okay with a cert (ie: to show longer studs have been used)

Guest Speedye30

Yes, the wheel would have less strength. However who cares? and as for "ghetto" well, if it means you can have whatever wheel you like. Besides, many wheels have covers over the studs anyways.

Guest Speedye30

Hah, with a cert. Wanna spent hundreds of bucks for a cert? Not me...

Guest Speedye30

Yes the gear is here. Freight would be cheap (trade freight prices are reasonable).

If it was in Dorkland, I wouldn't be able to use such nice gear for so little $$.

hmmmmmmm cnc stuff is always good....cant think of anything at the moment....sure i can come up with something though......

Guest Speedye30

Here's a couple:

Short shift mechanisms.

Adjustable camber front strut tops.

Anyone else?

Guest Speedye30

I fear I may have over simplified the re-drilling of wheels... Really depends on the way the casting has been made... Still in some cases it can be done...

What format files does the program need??

I have done a few in Autocad for my brake modifications and camber plates for my 323 gtx (could prolly modify the model for the E30 easy enough)

What format files does the program need??

I have done a few in Autocad for my brake modifications and camber plates for my 323 gtx (could prolly modify the model for the E30 easy enough)

Sorry, a bit off topic but...

Glenn

Do you use Autocad a lot?

I use IMSI's TurboCAD Pro on a day-to-day basis for work, it is good fun (I am learning quickly about CAD packages, and the use of them).

Cheers

you mean short shift mechanisms like a copy of tims....i would be keen and also on the camber plates...of you could do rear ones (cant think of how you with the setup but meh) would be keen depending on price

Guest Speedye30

Damn it! My big in-depth reply has been lost due to microsoft's much coveted "blue screen of death" :angry::angry::angry:

Anyways as I was saying, the machines understand g-code (its real simple. easier to tell the machine what to do! CAM is really powerful software that converts CAD to g-code, brilliant! (Well <-there I go again oversimplifying things...) <_<

Anyways. Anthing you have a model of can be copied. If you don't have the thing then CAD drawing is next best thing. If its simple, a rough sketch (will ALL measurements, angles, details) can sometimes do.

Cost works like this (example)

1 Simple part.

Material (varies)

Set-up (programming) 1-3hours: 40-120 roubles

Set-up (machine, may require jig) 1-5hours: 50-300 roubles

Actual machining about five minutes: 9 roubles

Tooling cost (variable plastic/aluminium<roubles<steel/iron) 1 rouble

1 part finished cost 100-430 roubles (not including material)

But wait this is where these machines kick ass!

10 parts finished costs only another 90 roubles!

100 parts... and so on...

Please note these machines are not suitable for prototyping. If it hasn't been made, and you aren't sure if it will work, have one made by hand and try it out!

Do you think you could make the parts to adapt a cheap LSD (nissan/datsan/subaru) to fit the BMW halfshafts/driveshaft

Do you think you could make the parts to adapt a cheap LSD (nissan/datsan/subaru) to fit the BMW halfshafts/driveshaft

...the brilliance hurts me

Guest Speedye30

That is a very fine idea, indeed!

I have no idea. I can see some potential problems. You will need to find a very narrow jap diff, in order to fit adapters. Also mounting could be an issue.

Cmon you engineers! This could be a big help for us all!

Edited by Speedye30

ive been having dreams about painting TWO black rubber lines.....would have to come off small jap car...i think most silvia ones are viscous...what is the stock bmw one? mechanical? with bout 20% lock up isnt it? i could measure my diff now that its out the car at the mo to get sizing....do skyline gtst's come with lsds? hmmm....cheap lsd :D.....it would need to mount onto the subframe and bolt into the rubber bush bracket somehow....but i like this idea

I think GM is refering to adapting a LSD Centre to our BMW crown wheel.

The prob is the half shafts will most probably have different splines and the bearing carriers will be in correct size & spacing, worth a look though!!

ahh...gotcha......makes more sense doesnt it......although even i am not brave enough to take apart my one an only diff i would be interested to see inside.....ill let you pioneer it glenn...god knows u need it!