Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Subframe

ok just finished taking out my subframe...and yes...it is VERY bent....interesting to note that my diff bolts were a little loose....not exactly a good thing...it may have been causing some knocking from my rear end...everything was good...took 2 hours to get out ( a LOT faster than last time)...leaving it over night and will do the rest tomorrow.....well maybe i just need some more parts and im still trying to decide whether or not to put my urethane bushes in.....any suggestions from anyone? just thought id post some pics of the job....

my mechanic

post-6-1079766531.jpg

a bit fuzzy and dark...but as you can see...not a lot in there anymore.....

post-6-1079766591.jpg

this is just a pic so graeme knows what i need (its the mounting plate for the subframe....bent too!)

post-6-1079766649.jpg

can anyone tell me what these are? the pic mightnt show it clearly but this is with the rear bumper removed just behind the rear wheel arch...the clear plastic tube is my battery vent tube....my best guess is its an extra rain vent as there is another on the other side....anyone know?

post-6-1079833355.jpg

more stuff for graeme....

post-6-1079852334.jpg

Edited by Gus

Guest Spargo

The sunroof vents drain through that location. Probably them.

V. scary foto. You're like a car-troll!!

sunroof? interesting....yes...i am the car troll.........RRRAARUIGRUGUERG

more stuff for graeme

post-6-1079852457.jpg

for anyone doing this job (or just bolting a diff back in) i have some free advice....although the manual says put the subframe in the car then bolt on diff.....i find it easier to bolt the diff onto the subframe THEN bolt the subframe in....bolting the subframe in with diff attached will be a little tricky....but nowhere near as tricky/annoying as spending 5 hours + trying to attach diff and then finding a thread is stripped...grrrrr

DONE....after 6 hours today (brings total to 2saturday getting it out + 5 wasted + another 2 wasted that is......15 hours) got it all in....was MUCh easier getting it in using my patented method.....need another pair of hands though.....and for people putting in urethane bushings...make sure you pressed the trailing arm bushings in the WHOLE way (lube em up good).....makes getting the arms on the subframe much easier.....but yeah....camber looking VERY good...(like andys) and feeling better...ahh....back to BMW power....:D

Congratulations, nice work.

I'll look in the Angus park outside my place today to admire your handywork.

Cheers