Sign in to follow this  
StylesM5

Speedo

Gents

The speedo seems to work fine with the gas on, then goes to zero with thte gas off or cruising at 100k's.

Any solutions? And, yes, I'm waiting for the first smart answer that says "just keep you boot right up it!"

Cheers, Jocko

Gents

The speedo seems to work fine with the gas on, then goes to zero with thte gas off or cruising at 100k's.

Any solutions? And, yes, I'm waiting for the first smart answer that says "just keep you boot right up it!"

Cheers, Jocko

My old Renault has the same problem very recently. It was because the plastic needle had bent over time, from UV damage I guess. So I took it out and sent up to Auckland to get fixed (I'm in P.North). The rev counter was the same. Cost $300 to fix them both.

If the needle is OK, your fault must caused by something else though...like the cable is sticky and dry (put some oil in it) or something pulling on the outer cable which might be preventing the inner cable from properly connecting at one end or the other - that is assuming it is cable-driven and not electronic. If electronic, first check the main earth lead. I found this fault in a near new e30 many years ago. Was easy to fix.

Paul

Is this on your ford or Bmw?? Is it an electronic speedo?

Sorry, the E30. Electronic. Will crawl arond the diff this weekend when i get out of my jarmies <_<

Having a very lazy weekend, although just took the 325 for a fang with my 4 year old who constantly asks, "Dad, can we take the fast black car out for a drive", defintely very little blood in the his petrol system!