Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

Putting the diff back together.

I have taken my diff apart, had it all cleaned etc and in the process the gasket for the diff cover came off. I have some RTV Oil Pan Sealant Silicon Gasket Maker Stuff. From what i can tell from the packet it will be okay to use just this to seal the back cover.

What i want to know is: Will this be sufficient or am i going to have to go and buy a gasket??

Bumpity Bump.... need to know guys!!!

Dont wanna go sticking the cover on and having oil come out everywhere!!

safest option = new gasket

2nd safest otion = insta gasket (which is the stuff u have)

i always use insta gasket for stuff lke exhaust gaskets but with stuff where it can leak liquids i use a new gasket. but then again, im just paranoid so the silicon stuff may work just fine.

Stuff i got is a blue Loctite Automotive Product.

It says its safe to 360 degrees. Suitable for Oil Pans and Tappet/Valve Covers etc

Not safe for Exhaust Manifolds/Flanges or anything that contacts petrol.

I think ill be sweet :D

if the gasket that was on the diff is still in one piece and not ripped then you are best to reuse it. Smear a little bit of your sealer on both side of gasket to act as an adhessive and you are in business. Bon't just the sealer on it's own. Oil is petrolium based and can still break down sealer. Make sure you tighten the diff bolts to the required torgue settings also.

I tried to buy a gasket once from Jerry Claytons- not in stock at BMW NZ, and they say they have never sold one!! Very hard to believe, but it seems everyone just bins the gasket and uses a proprietary sealer. I must admit, that is all I have ever done, and never had problems.

Cheers Guys.

The gasket got disintagrated, cant find them anywhere here cept a 2nd hand one (waste of money).

I cleaned the diff cover in Inkwash (Xyolene) which is pretty harsh sh*t. Ill just use the instagasket stuff.

Ta,

Chris