Sign in to follow this  
grantm

BMW 318 ti wont starting - wont even turn over

27-05 - Problem diagnosed and fixed - it was of all things a faulty fuse, the immobiliser fuse ...and when I get the bill it will be the most expensive fuse ever ...I had checked the fuses, the garage had, then it ( the car ) was sent off to the auto electrician , even they tell me the fuse checked OK - then they sent it off to BMW - BMW diagnostics came up with a fault - replaced the fuse and away it went - it must have had a minor fracture in the fuse, almost like metal fatigue - not bad enough to fail a circuit tester, but enough to upset the immobiliser

I await the bill....

I have an auto 1995 318Ti ...it has been starting and running fine ...my wife put it in the garage the other day,no problems - today I go to start it and nothing - turn the key, all the normal lights come on , the headlights all work brightly so the battery is not flat .(I have it on the charge just to top it up at the moment, but it appears OK )

When I turn the key to the normal start position there is just nothing from the strarter motor - no clicks no sounds, the strarter just does not respond.

Any one got any ideas ? could it be a starter relay, or starter motor fuse ?- have checked all the small plug in fuses I can see and they are all OK ..not sure what the bigger square "boxes" in the fuse block are so didnt touch those, but has anyone any suggestions ?

It has not shown any signs prior to this of difficulty to start ...the motor is free - it turns over by socket on the crank.

112KM

Thanks

Edited by grantm

Do you have an electrical meter, or test lamp etc for seeing if voltage is present at the starter motor terminals?

Have you tried tapping the starter motor while someone turns the key?

Does the starter relay click when someone turns the key?

Have you threatened the car with a branch from a nearby bush?

I have had this with bmw's . If the battery is down a bit, lights etc will go but not enough guts to do anything with the starter. Try it once the battery has had a chance to catch up.

As long as ign lights dont dull out as you turn to start then it is not a battery / connection problem, no noise at all would suggest a solenoid enegiser supply problem or starter. As Roger said- check for power to energiser terminal on starter as key is on crank, if none then it is a wiring/ inhibitor switch / relay or similar problem. If power is there - as already said, try giving starter a hit, while key on start (maybe low brushes) starting then would indicate probably this problem. Otherwise you need an auto sparky.

Thanks for your suggestions , am going to try a couple of things today - yes I have a meter. I dont know where the starter solenoid is, so if someone can help point me to where that is that will help. Is there a way to check if the soleniod is faulty ?

The lights dont dim when the key is turned so it sound s like solenoid perhaps - are they prone to failure with no warning.? I doubt its the starter motor as they usually show some signs of problems before failing , but will test power to the starter motor.

I have since fully charge the battery to take that out of the the possibility list .

I have checked all the fuses, and there does not seem to be a fuse for the starter circuit -is that corect ?

Thanks

Grant

Thanks for your suggestions , am going to try a couple of things today - yes I have a meter. I dont know where the starter solenoid is, so if someone can help point me to where that is that will help. Is there a way to check if the soleniod is faulty ?

The lights dont dim when the key is turned so it sound s like solenoid perhaps - are they prone to failure with no warning.? I doubt its the starter motor as they usually show some signs of problems before failing , but will test power to the starter motor.

I have since fully charge the battery to take that out of the the possibility list .

I have checked all the fuses, and there does not seem to be a fuse for the starter circuit -is that corect ?

Thanks

Grant

Solenoid is mounted on the starter, not prone to failure, more likely to be a power supply problem to it or if not then a fault in the starter (hense giving it a hit) - worn brushes can give no warning to a no go situation -which a hit can temporarily overcome. If not conversent then best to get an auto sparky to check for you. From memory this cicuit not fused.

Latest update - have taken it to the garage - it seems it is a "lockout" problem from the key activated security system - there is no power to the starter - so its off to the Auto Electrician to solve..just in case anyone else has this problem.

Update 23-05 - seems that the electrickery that recognises the key ( the immobiliser ) has decide not to recognose the keys anymore ...so it wont start ...what a pain in the ass ....so it will probably have to have a new key and have it programmed =

Some hundreds of $$ expected as it has to go to BMW ...surely there must be a way to bypass this system so it does not happen again - anyone know of a way to do this ?

Edited by grantm