Sign in to follow this  
nztrekkie

Airbag light

My 1994 520i airbag light came on a couple of days ago while coming home from work. Do I need to get worried about it going off for no reason or is it just telling me it wont work if I try and park suddenly on top of a lamp post

It shouldn't fire off your face when you drive around normally. The light cover whole of the system ranging from sensors, electronics and the airbag itself. So it's best to see a auto electrician or a dealer to do a computer scan first to see what's wrong.

You won't pass a WOF with that light on anyway, so you might want that fix soon.

I dont know about the e34 but in the e38 when the light is on the airbag is de-activated so it wontr go off if you drive into a tree. Its also an immediate WOF fail.

Do a search on google because I think there are some relatively simple checks you can do before you have to resort to a dealer to diagnose.

Its quite likely going to be the sensor in the passenger seat belt or the sensor in the seat itself.

Have you tampered with any wire harness's or stereo wiring, steering wheel etc??

If you think theres nothing wrong I know you can get a reset tool and reset it to remove the light

As already said, easiest is to get any auto sparky/mechanic/dealer with scanner to confirm fault code -2 minuite job & eliminates guesswork/frustrasion. Apart from being a WOF requirement, it is far safer to know you have its protection if needed

The airbag light came on in my folks late model Ford Mondeo. Sometimes just turning the car off and on would clear the light, while other times it would stay on. Took it to the local Ford dealer, and it turns it it was the sensor for the seatbelt pre-tensioners, and was a 15 minute fix.