Sign in to follow this  
Druid

How To Reset Service Interval Light On My 520i

Hey, me again.

According to my owners manual the row of green lights on start up is the countdown til my service is due. Fairynuff, I'm down to one light and have been for a little while.

I do my own servicing, I don't trust many mechanics :)

Is there any way I can reset the service light myself, or is it one of those niggly things I just have to live with or get BMW to sort?

It's a 94 520i Executive.

Thanks

Hey, me again.

According to my owners manual the row of green lights on start up is the countdown til my service is due. Fairynuff, I'm down to one light and have been for a little while.

I do my own servicing, I don't trust many mechanics :)

Is there any way I can reset the service light myself, or is it one of those niggly things I just have to live with or get BMW to sort?

It's a 94 520i Executive.

Thanks

hey

I have also got an e34 and have done it. All you do is short out 2 pins (pin 19 and pin 7) on the plug(will attach picture) with the key out of the ignition. After the wire is in place, turn the ignition to on, wait 3-5 seconds, and turn the key back to of. remove the wire and next time you start the car/turn the key to on its filled back up. For a Service i or Service II its the same procedure exept you have to wait about 10 seconds insted of 5. You might not get it the first time because of the time you left the ker in the on position, (to much or to little) and you might have to try a couple of times. the plug is in the engine bay, on the left hand side when facing the front, closer to the firewall, and its got a screw top on it...(from memory)

good luck

post-855-1178785656_thumb.jpg

Edited by lordandrevv

Any chances in fully rooting your system by doing it this way?

Any chances in fully rooting your system by doing it this way?

i seriously have my doubts. My guess is that the computer does the same thing, exept bridging happens internally. Have a look around other websites and you will see that is what everyone does. Just triple check that you are connecting the right pins!!!

Worst that can happen is popping a fuse because you short out a power line.

All the lines to the diagnostic plug are pretty much protected from shorts to ground or battery.

See image below for the pinouts, it will help you stay clear of the power lines :-)

post-98-1178840250_thumb.jpg