Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

Alarm question,

I have a steal shield alarm, 1 chirp armed, 2 chirps un-armed, pretty standard, single immobiliser, (not sure what else it does) but thats besides the point, when I bleep it, sometimes (and with increasing regularity) the indicators will do their required flash, one or two, but then stay on!? and i can turn the ignition on (when its unarmed) and the engine, and indicators stay on permenantly, i cant use them because their on solid and they wont turn off, the only way to turn it off is to try again, ie arm and unarm, and then after another try, sometimes 2 or 3 they stay off again, i suspect a loose connection somewhere, but can someone shed some light on the situation?? where do alarms get hooked into the indicators???

Cheers.

Unless you are somewhat familiar with wiring set up then you may be chasing your tail to identify & fix. Sounds quite probably like an alarm module fault but a bad earth or similar to it may cause iregularities in operation also. Wiring to indicators will probably be at the base of the steering column.

I'm not a BMW expert, but I had this problem on other cars before.

Flasher unit needed replacing. Older the unit, worse it gets. No idea where it is in your car, and how much they cost. Should be cheap and easy to find though (I'd hope). In my old Mitsi it was just a square box, looks like a relay, and there were seperate flashing units for the hazards and indicators.

Could also be an earth issue, because the lower the voltage the slower the unit works, which is why you'll find it only happens when the engine is off. I'd replace the flasher first or at least swap it out of another car.

cheers, thats a good idea, ill have a look at the flasher and ground possibilities, its goddamn annoying.

Definitely wont be the flasher unit - they are ign supplied & also is before indicator switch so will not bring all lamps on.

Will be alarm issue - either unit or wiring to it.