Sign in to follow this  
otagomed

Advice on ICE(divx, MP3, rear view camera) please!

Hi,

I don't have much knowledge on car electornics, ICE systems. However I know how to assemble desktop computers and think that it's not going to be too different from that.(hopefully!)

Anyway, I looked at some websites on installing divx/mp3 player on my BMW so I can watch and listen to it on my navigation screen and original stereo system. The divx/mp3 player i'm interested in buying is something like this. One that you can put a hard-drive in.

Posted Image

I also found this thing called G-Net Nav Video - Video Interface on http://www.advancedice.com.au.

Posted Image

It seems that I can connect the player into this video interface thing. Then I can install Dvix/mp3 player somewhere on glove box then connect it to G-Net Nav Video which will be installed inside the trunk above the navigation unit.

However it does not support any audio input. I do not use BMW cd changer, so I think I can connect divx/mp3 player to cd changer audio input. But i don't know how to. Is it simple to do that? Do you know any website I can find more info about it?

Also, how do I get a power supply for the divx/mp3 player. It says it is DC powered.

I drive 1999 E46 328i which has a Jap navigation unit. Plan to get NZ unit in near future but at the moment, divx/mp3 is the priority. Please give me as much advice as possible. As I mentioned, i don't know much about all these things. All I want to do is watching divx videos and listening MP3 musics on origianl navigation screen and stereo system(no through FM transmitter or tape though).

Thanks guys!

Icemag is a great tool.

Powersupplies can be bought from Jaycar, $50 for 140w I think which should be enough to power your unit.

I bet Jochen could help too,esp with your nav set up,but also with your video/audio set up

I drive 1999 E46 328i which has a Jap navigation unit. Plan to get NZ unit in near future but at the moment, divx/mp3 is the priority. Please give me as much advice as possible. As I mentioned, i don't know much about all these things. All I want to do is watching divx videos and listening MP3 musics on origianl navigation screen and stereo system(no through FM transmitter or tape though).

Just connect to the existing AV IN on the TV tuner of the nav system.

All existing, nothing special required.

It is not cabled in your car at the moment, but you can easily add the cables for AV IN, AV OUT, and Reverse Camera In

Jochen

Thanks Jochen!

I did not realized that the tv tuner has the existing AV in.

Regarding reverse camera, do I just need to add cables to the tv tuner? Are there any other wires that I need to connect so it only works when I'm on reverse gear?

Just connect to the existing AV IN on the TV tuner of the nav system.

All existing, nothing special required.

It is not cabled in your car at the moment, but you can easily add the cables for AV IN, AV OUT, and Reverse Camera In

Jochen

Edited by otagomed

Thanks Jochen!

I did not realized that the tv tuner has the existing AV in.

Regarding reverse camera, do I just need to add cables to the tv tuner? Are there any other wires that I need to connect so it only works when I'm on reverse gear?

Yes, TV tuner has AV-in and AV-out and Reverse-Camera-In

AV-in can be any format, AV-out is whatever the TV is currently doing (mostly PAL here)

To activate the reverse camera, you need to connect one wire to ground.

The easy way is to do this is add a relay to the reverse lights, the relay then switches the activation wire to ground.

NOTE: the reverse camera must be NTSC, and ideally a mirror-image cam. You can order these online from various places.

Thanks again!

I managed to wire AV in and now can watch Divx, etc.

However I am still struggling finding reverse lights wire.

I found bunch of wires taped together and know that one of them is the wire for the reverse light but I don't know which one it is among them.

Anyway, I'm happy that AV in is working and will worry about reverse camera later.

One other thing is, while I was doing this job today battery was gone flat and I could not start the car. I think it happend as I played movies and left my car door opened for around 40-50min(hence the light was on). Does the battery go flat this fast?

All seemed to be working though except TV screen and the engine start.

Anyway, I jump started the car using the battery from my other car and after that it seems to be working fine.

Do you think I should get my battery checked?

Anyway, thanks so much for your help here and also from other international bimmer related websites! Everytime when I searched the article at bimmerboard.com I could see your name easily!

Cheers!

quote name='jochen' date='Jun 30 2007, 10:06 PM' post='127845']

Yes, TV tuner has AV-in and AV-out and Reverse-Camera-In

AV-in can be any format, AV-out is whatever the TV is currently doing (mostly PAL here)

To activate the reverse camera, you need to connect one wire to ground.

The easy way is to do this is add a relay to the reverse lights, the relay then switches the activation wire to ground.

NOTE: the reverse camera must be NTSC, and ideally a mirror-image cam. You can order these online from various places.

Thanks again!

I managed to wire AV in and now can watch Divx, etc.

Wonderful!

However I am still struggling finding reverse lights wire.

I found bunch of wires taped together and know that one of them is the wire for the reverse light but I don't know which one it is among them.

Left-hand reverse light = white with yellow stripe

Right-hand reverse light = black with green stripe

One other thing is, while I was doing this job today battery was gone flat and I could not start the car. I think it happend as I played movies and left my car door opened for around 40-50min(hence the light was on). Does the battery go flat this fast?

When it is getting old, yes, can do.

Put it on an overnight charge on a battery charger.

Use an automatic charger that will reduce the charge current as the battery comes up to full charge.

Consider giving the battery a full charge once a week for the next month or so.

Monitor the charge status window on the battery for the next few weeks - green is good, black is bad.

If you get a lot of black, consider getting a new battery

Everytime when I searched the article at bimmerboard.com I could see your name easily!

On the internet, everyone knows your name...

Just to update on my progress on ICE...

As I wrote earlier I've managed to connect AV in and can watch divx, etc on TV screen.

However the fact that the sound is only mono was bugging me... alot.

While I was trying to connect reverse camera AV in I figured it out that the music(stereo Ipod music from DICE or any other source) still plays when the AV in is switched to reverse camera.

So I thought... if I don't use reverse camera and connect the pin 17 of blue adapter(the activation wire) to some kind of switch then I will be able to watch movies by turning the switch on and the sound will be stereo!

So I've connected my Divx video out to reverse camera video in and audio out to the DICE unit.

And the wire from pin 17 was connected to the one side of the switch(one that I dismantled from my old computer's power supply unit) and the other side of the switch is then connected to the ground.

So when I turn the swtich on I can watch the movie with stereo sound and all I need to do to go back to normal screen is just turning the switch off. By using this method I can't use the reverse camera(unless you connect the camera to the other AV in and change the TV channel to AV every time when you reverse!) but I am happy that I can have stereo sound with my divx player.

Do you think there will be any problem with this setting? obviously the pin 17 is designed to be activated for reverse camera, and in unsual situations it will only be activated when car is on reverse gear but in my case I'm activating it whenever I play the movie and it may be left activated for few hours. Will there be any kind of electrical issues?

Thanks.

While I was trying to connect reverse camera AV in I figured it out that the music(stereo Ipod music from DICE or any other source) still plays when the AV in is switched to reverse camera.

So I thought... if I don't use reverse camera and connect the pin 17 of blue adapter(the activation wire) to some kind of switch then I will be able to watch movies by turning the switch on and the sound will be stereo!

Will there be any kind of electrical issues?

Wonderful!. That's a good way to do it.

No issues at all with having the video module switched to the reverse camera input, doesn't change / damage anything

Jochen