Sign in to follow this  
irish1

Starting problem

After work on Monday I happily drove into the big metroplis of Whangarei approx 3Km, park the 323i M and dropped off some stuff to a friend. Jumped back into car turned the key, the car turned over and over and over all the lights were on but no one home. After trying various things from my limited knowledge I persuaded Ken to give me a hand and he very kindly obliged and it promptly stuffed half his evening up. We, well actually Ken (he has the skinned knuckles to prove it) were getting removing plugs and distributors down to a fine art to no avail. Eventually the cold and the lack of light had us tow to a friends workshop and leave it there for him to sort. Our friend was also a bit stumped and had the car towed to a local auto sparkie, they also then had problems. They put all their test gear on the car and it ran perfectly so put all their gear away shut the bonnet and the car did not start...to cut a long sory short the problem was finally tracked down to the rubber protective cover over the coil... take it off and it runs put it back and no go...

The Auto sparkie had never seen this before, neither has anyone else i have come across, how about any of you guys??

Heh, odd. maybe the HT lead from the coil has a break inside it and when the cover is on it pulls on it and dosent make a proper connection or somthing :S