Sign in to follow this  
psimon

E39 Tv Activation

I have just purchased a '96 E39 540i and want to have the ability to have the TV on while driving. I know there are TV Activator devices you can purchase from overseas, just wondering if anyone in the Auckland area has one or knows someone who can Activate the TV?

Guest Phil Ken Sebben

Give Jochen a PM here, or search it. he is the guru and has undoubtedly done this.

Not sure about BM stereos but most used the handbrake as an actuator switch. When you put the handbrake on it earths a wire from the h/u and that tells the h/u that you can watch TV. So first thing is to find out what allows you to watch TV - is it having the handbrake on / having it in park or both.

Then it's just a matter of finding the lead going to the switch and adding a manual switch earth onto it. That way you can switch it back to factory when going for wofs etc.

At the end of the day, don't do it. There's enough happening on the other side of the windscreen without the distraction of a TV

You can try this

Mark I

• Set ignition to pos. II

• enter TV mode

• enter "settings"

• enter "contrast"

• when the green contrast bar is visible, push the knob and keep it pressed

• turn ignition off (keep button pressed!)

• wait 8-10 seconds (timing must be accurate!)

• release the knob

• turn on ignition again

• Now you can watch TV during driving (but always keep at least one eye on the road - that said)

To watch videotext use the same procedure as above, but choose "brightness" instead of "contrast".

Mark II

• Set ignition to pos. II

• enter TV mode

• enter "settings"

• enter "brightness"

• when the green contrast bar is visible, push the knob and keep it pressed

• turn ignition off (keep button pressed!)

• wait 8-10 seconds (timing must be accurate!)

• release the knob

• turn on ignition again

• Now you can watch TV during driving (but always keep at least one eye on the road - that said)

To watch videotext use the same procedure as above, but chose "colour" instead of "brightness".

TV cutout is either speed related, park brake related, or both. Or can be on all the time.

Try as Huttey says or as said already -contact Jochen - he has a programme on laptop to "talk" to the car through the IBus control & programme the system for TV in motion.

Dont let the boys in blue or WOF guys see that though!

Haha, thanks for the reply guys, yeah I know it is hooked up to the speedo and is set at approx 5kms. I know you cant just unplug anything it has to be done properly. Will give those instructions a go though!

You may have too try a few times as the timing needs to be spot on, let me know how you get on

Not sure about BM stereos but most used the handbrake as an actuator switch. When you put the handbrake on it earths a wire from the h/u and that tells the h/u that you can watch TV. So first thing is to find out what allows you to watch TV - is it having the handbrake on / having it in park or both.

Then it's just a matter of finding the lead going to the switch and adding a manual switch earth onto it. That way you can switch it back to factory when going for wofs etc.

BMWs do NOT work as you describe. the car communicates with the TV tuner via a databus.

The TV tuner listens for various data bus messages such as 'current speed' and 'handbrake status'

The tuner then deactivtes itself when current speed exceeds approx 6kmph (and optionally, handbrake status = off)

Can be reprogrammed though.