Sign in to follow this  
joel

Gearbox Leaking??

Hi,

has just started leaking. Im pretty sure that its from the gear box, but what could it be. Im thinking that it could be the gasket. Would really appreciate your help. Am gona have a look at it tommorow and try and fix it, so it would be great if I knew what to do.

Thanks alot,

Nick

post-1456-1182509866_thumb.jpg

post-1456-1182509885_thumb.jpg

post-1456-1182509907_thumb.jpg

Edited by GIJoel

From the last 2 pics it looks more like engine oil than gearbox, looks like it's coming out from the bellhousing where it fits to the engine? If so, it could be the seal at the back of the crank or the input seal in the front of the box. Either way, not likely to be a gasket there sorry, means you need to drop the box, and find which end it's coming from. Both seals are easy to change with the box out anyway. Good Luck. First link shows crank seal part 6. Second link shows gearbox seal, part 9. I know it's a 240 box, I think the 260's similar on the front?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=11&fg=10

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=23&fg=15

Yeah looks alot more like engine oil. I have the same problem, gonna replace the seal when I convert to manual gearbox once I finally find a conversion kit.

mine does that too, never been to worried about it though coz id just replace my gear box as its seen better days 300ks+ ks on it,

IIRC isnt BMW gearbox oil pink/red colour?

By the looks of the photos, it does tend to look more like engine oil than gearbox oil...

You're thinking auto, this is manual.

Mine does this also - Check all your sump bolts (easier said than done for the rear ones) as leaks here (or anywhere for that matter) will travel from front to back. I found many of mine quite loose and nipped them all up again - I found this decreased though not eliminated the oil leak.

Thanks everyone for your help. Lifted it up and had a look under it, but couldnt see the problem. It definintly is gear box oil though. Decided that when its dew for its next service, we'll ask the guy to have a look. Also, what kind of gear box oil will it take, its an e30 325i manual

Thanks so much,

Nick

Edited by GIJoel