Sign in to follow this  
Huttey

What is it worth/how much to fix

I have a NZ new 1986 manual E30/320 with 170,000 miles which I've owned for the last 13 years. Car drives really well, is still really tight, the body has a little rust (say $200 to fix).

My son ran up the backside of another car with a tow bar and the insurance company have written to me saying it is not economical to fix and will pay it's current value which is $1,500 less excess.

My first query is does this price sound right ?

My second is to get it back on the road it needs repairs to front panel, bumper, valance/spoiler. It will also need a replacement radiator or current one recored. Any idea of what the bumper, spoiler and radiator would cost. The panelbeater mentioned there are three different raditators for this model so need to make sure I get the right one ??

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not surprised at the insurance value, about where I would have put it.

You should be able to replace the 3 bits for about $500 with good parts.

Good luck.

I have a NZ new 1986 manual E30/320 with 170,000 miles which I've owned for the last 13 years. Car drives really well, is still really tight, the body has a little rust (say $200 to fix).

My son ran up the backside of another car with a tow bar and the insurance company have written to me saying it is not economical to fix and will pay it's current value which is $1,500 less excess.

My second is to get it back on the road it needs repairs to front panel, bumper, valance/spoiler. It will also need a replacement radiator or current one recored. Any idea of what the bumper, spoiler and radiator would cost. The panelbeater mentioned there are three different raditators for this model so need to make sure I get the right one ??

It wouldn't by chance be the white one park down Muri Rd in Puke Bay? If so, I seen it when visiting my friends that live at the end of the lane (on the left where the F150 sometimes parks) damage isn't that bad. I have the white E30 (noisey one) that turns up there every so often. I would just put a new Bumper on it and pull the panel out by hand and then radiator. Is the Radiator the small one of the full length one.

I would have most of the bits you need to repair the car, PM if keen

Perfect chance to convert it to FL. Plenty of parts lieing around, white is common enough.

Get the chassis fixed pro, then wacked some panels on yourself.

Get the insurance payout, then payback your car.

First things first, always reject the first offer the insurance company present to you- like any transaction, that is their opening bid. My late uncle was an insurance broker, that's what he said, I always stuck by it (not that I've ever had to claim lol).

Secondly, what condition was your car actually in? Do you have receipts or photos to suggest that the car is in an average or even better than average condition? e.g. mild aftermarket tuning, regular servicing, parts etc.

You turn around the insurance company, say thanks but no thanks, look at the condition my car was in [presents bindle of evidence substantiating your position], I think my car was worth $2xxx... depends on how much you want to keep your car I guess!

Thanks all for your replies, I hope to finalise this next week with insurance. The heart is ruling the head on this one, after 13 years ownership my little green 320 is part of the family, all the kids learnt to drive in it (some better than others) and now it is our pool car to get those short trips done and drive a manual to exercise the left leg.

If everything goes my way she will be back on the road in a couple of weeks, once I know what insurance company will do, I may follow up with those parts offers.