Sign in to follow this  
turbolizard

E39 540 6 speed manual

Does anyone know of any e39 540 with 6 speed manual in NZ?

These seem to be quite common in the USA but I have never seen one here - I would be real interested in one as a less complex alternative to M5.

there are a few,there is one for sale on trademe i think,or there was just recently.

I don't know of any, but the 540 doesn't have any less technology in it than the M5. The E39 M5 is great. Spend your money there.

A few cheaper parts in the 540 being less performance orientated. But no less complex.

... the 540 doesn't have any less technology in it than the M5....

few cheaper parts in the 540 being less performance orientated. But no less complex.

Interesting thoughts on 540 vs. M5.

My current car is an e34 540 6 speed that I have owned for 4 years and I have been very happy with what it delivers and what it has cost me. It is easy to work on and parts cost is not too bad for regular stuff. I have to admit to being a bit terrified of M5 parts costs and doing work on it myself, which I have no concern on my e34.

540i Sedan

Centre: Coombes Johnston European

07 846 8888

Transmission: Manual

External Colour: Toledo Blue metallic

Internal Colour: Snd Beige/D Beige - L Montana

Trim:

Year: 2002

Kilometres: 60673

Price: $49,990

Specification: Air bags - Front driver and passenger

Anti-lock brakes (ABS)

Engine immobiliser

Hi-Fi stereo system

Multi Function Steering Wheel

On board computer

Park Distance Control

Remote central locking

Sunroof

Traction control

I'd stretch a bit further and get the real thing.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.as...&key=519856

Try having Cruise control, Electronic Damper Control on top of yours.

The ///M bits do cost you more than the standard parts. The difference between your 6 speed gear knob and my ///M one $110+GST $255+GST when I bought it 2 years ago. BMW got the wrong one in.

The EDC shocks cost an arm and a leg. Realistically, if it fails. I doubt I'd replace it. I'd go with a sport set of shocks and springs.

You'll go a long way to find a better all-round car than a 540iS.

I have a friend with one....very nice it is too.

Oh and no need to stretch any further there was an 01 M5 that failed to sell for 47k just recentlyin Wellington.

Edited by Penry

I was initially put off the concept of the M5 because of stuff like electronic damping, which is hugely expensive to repair if it has problems. The fact that my e34 just has the stock sport suspension actually made it more appealing to me when I bought it. However, I had also figured a e39 540 manual might be quite a $$$ saving compared to M5 if I could find one (initial purchase and servicing).

Perhaps driving an M5 would settle it - I have not tried one. When I got my e34 540 I was pretty sure I would be happy with an auto, until I drove the manual. I am sure an M5 is hard to put aside after you have tried it.