Sign in to follow this  
Kpax

Sick whinning sound

Yo guy's,

When my E30 is in neutral & idle, she purrs. BUT, when I full turn the steering to the left or right it sounds as if a belt is grinding against something. It's scary.

I was thinking it could be something within the power steering or maybe something bent, hmmmm <_< ....any ideas?

Edited by Kpax

Check you power steering fluid level.

Hmmm, didnt think of that, will do in the morning & keep you posted.

Cheers dude :D

Hmmm, didnt think of that, will do in the morning & keep you posted.

Cheers dude :D

Yo, I checked the fluid, it's all good. The noise only occurs when there is full lock of the steering wheel. I'm still lost man.

Yo, I checked the fluid, it's all good. The noise only occurs when there is full lock of the steering wheel. I'm still lost man.

Are you sure that sound is not just the power steering telling you that you are reaching the end of your steering rack?

wouldnt be the power steering belt slipping by any chance? or maby its the input shaft to the power steering pump.

wouldnt be the power steering belt slipping by any chance? or maby its the input shaft to the power steering pump.

Hmmm, good question... well gna hand it over to the guy's at German Automotive to take a look, while they doing that they will change the cambelt aswell :)

Well I finally got this sorted, (took me long enough)seems the belts needed to be tightend :unsure: . I had my cambelt changed along with tensioner & pump, came to $550. Got the guy's over at GA to check all the belts while they were at it & tighten them.

The car does feel firmer now(if you know what I mean).