Sign in to follow this  
Katalyst

import freight costs

Looking at importing some stuff from the uk and germany and was wondering if anybody had any costings from stuff uve imported or know of any good freight companies to use :rolleyes:

also anyone know off hand wot duties need to pay or can car parts come in for frwee?

Looking at importing some stuff from the uk and germany and was wondering if anybody had any costings from stuff uve imported or know of any good freight companies to use :rolleyes:

also anyone know off hand wot duties need to pay or can car parts come in for frwee?

There is a celing value that if the value of the parts is below then you can get around the tax, its only about $200 nzd from memory. any thing over that has to have GST paid on it. I think there is a small loop hole that lets gifts come in with out the gst being paid but i am not sure about this.

It would be a good idea to do some reseach on this as its easy to get stung on this. Call customs or check out their web site.

Let us know what you find out. am looking to send some parts home from here (london)for a car i am wanting to build when i return. i am looking to build a fiat 124coupe CC or a e30 when i get home so being able to find out that sruff would be handy.

I also posted a thred on the for sale area as i have been working in a parts shop over here. I may be able to help you out with the parts from the uk.

Hi, import level last I knew was $400. Below that no duty or GST, above that you have to go thru an import agent, and fees, GST and Duty if applicable, apply.

Foxy is right about the $400, below that its generally no duty or gst. Above that to about $600 it depends on the customs person that you get and whether you can blag them as for personal use only.

You can do all the customs work yourself at any price, you dont need an agent. However unless your bringing in something small and easy it does help to know what you are doing.

Buy from asia, them *****'s will always offer to put a fake invoice value in tha shipment.

Keep that sh*t below $400 to keep yo duty money.

Hustlin'... cause I gots to get mine......

keen too...i am lookin for maybe a whole container, sometime towards the end of the year. if enough people (you guys, maybe ray) are keen enough for stuff im happy to help co ordinate...there a lotta stuff over here that people want back home, and seems decent enough

Sorry, I didn't notice this forum was in relation to BMW car parts....

In that case, don't buy from Asia....that's whack

probably can't avoid Duty cost then.

It would however be tha shiznit to get a whole container load.

i'd be down for getting sway bars, CAI, strut brace, M50 manifold kit...and possibly otha sh*t too

I know it costs about 2,000 Euros for a 20ft container from Holland to Lyttleton including packing and sending. If you are looking at smaller parts, then you are at the mercy of the person who is selling the stuff usually with expensive being UPS or FEDEX. The cheapest is using the postal service in the country concerned like NZ Post if you were in NZ.

Guna talk to the office girls today and ring up some freight companys

Really into the container idea, would love to do one from the states aswell!

never thought about asia/indo im sure theyll have a few things floating round!

Yeah looked at the customs website before, confused me abit

good to see theres some intrest - could land us some cheap parts/aftermarket bits

just wish i had money to buy rubert murdochs medium sized container ship! a bargin @ $600000AUD!!

I know it costs about 2,000 Euros for a 20ft container from Holland to Lyttleton including packing and sending. If you are looking at smaller parts, then you are at the mercy of the person who is selling the stuff usually with expensive being UPS or FEDEX. The cheapest is using the postal service in the country concerned like NZ Post if you were in NZ.

2000 euros sounds very very cheap even just for shipping never mind packing aswell. I used to work for a shipping company and the costs for a 20' from London are USD1400 for the shipping alone. Collection and packing charges in the UK will more double that.

Port service charges and documentation etc in nz will be around nzd1000 if the customs clearance is easy and then you will have GST on top of that if you cant convince customs that its all for personal use. If you have half a dozen people involved then you wont get away with a single clearance (and will definately pay GST) and MAF will get involved, then your probably looking at closer to 2k at this end.

MAF are now very strict on what type of wood can be used for packing and if its not used they will go through to whole container piece by piece at $100 an hour and even then will probably fumigate the whole lot and charge you for destroying whatever was used to pack the container !

To do a 2x1x1 metre case in the correct wood is gbp 500 alone.

IMO less hassle to go through an agent that brings in automotive gear.

I did last time cost US$95 per cubic meter, US$55 for US Customs docs and US$35 for hanlding fee.

Get registered as an importer through NZ Customs also makes it easy at this end (provided no convictions) no cost involved.

I used JasJenners they have containers reguarliy out of the US and Europe.

There was a tread about 2+ years ago from someone involved in shipping, Michael someone?

cheers matt

2000 euros sounds very very cheap even just for shipping never mind packing aswell. I used to work for a shipping company and the costs for a 20' from London are USD1400 for the shipping alone. Collection and packing charges in the UK will more double that.

To do a 2x1x1 metre case in the correct wood is gbp 500 alone.

I am importing at least 2 containers a year from Belgium full of margarine for my business. This is in a refrigerated container which is dearer at 2500 Euros so non refrigerated 20fters are cheaper. UK is a dearer beast to work with compared with Belgium or Holland.

The last car I imported ex UK cost 1900 Euros in 2003 for the 20fter container from Holland to NZ. This paid for the company loading the car, securing it down and packing a few machines around it. I never trust UK port companies after hearing a few horror stories over the years.

Penry is correct, don't pack anything in wood as there are strict rules involved. The costs add up when it lands in NZ as you can't get a container dropped off at your house any more. They have to be moved to a Transitional Approved Facility and opened by MAF accredited persons so more costs involved. We are 30km from port and it costs $400 in trucking costs just to land the container at our facility.