Sign in to follow this  
Muzzie

E36 Aircon/Headlight Illumination?

Well since I have the gfs car for a bit, I may as well try and fix some of the niggly little things that are broken on it.

Like the dash lights.

Now, this is more of an assumption than a known fact - but I guess that all the heater controls/fan/direction/aircon etc should light up. Currently only the 3 buttons (recirculate/air con/demist) light up, bt none of the rest of it. Same goes for the headlight controls.

Do these light up? And if so, then what bulbs do they use and how do I get at the bulbs to replace them?

Thanks In Advance.

Now, this is more of an assumption than a known fact - but I guess that all the heater controls/fan/direction/aircon etc should light up. Currently only the 3 buttons (recirculate/air con/demist) light up, bt none of the rest of it. Same goes for the headlight controls.

Do these light up? And if so, then what bulbs do they use and how do I get at the bulbs to replace them?

Normal small 12V illumination bulbs. Remove one and have a look. Some have special mounting bases, if so, you need to go to BMW for replacement bulbs. The mounting base colour denotes the wattage of the bulb.

BM Workshop will also sell the bulbs at cheaper prices than BMW

Hey Muzzie, from what you're saying I gather the car has the older analog climate control with the dials, also assuming it's an E36. If so, the little buttons that you say are still on are powered by LEDs so they pretty much never go out. The rest is illuminated via a bulb that uses plastic tubes to channel the light to the numbers.

To change the climate control bulb:

Remove the black 'faceplate'. To do that, pull all the knobs off (can't remember how many there are). Remove the screws underneath. Then the faceplate will pull right off. You'll then see the bulb poking out. If you can't get it out using your fingers, use a plier but careful not to break it. Replace the bulb. If you want to get it from the dealer (not sure if you get it from Repco), you might want to use www.realoem.com first to find the part number for the bulb so you can just tell them over the phone.

To change the headlight switch bulb:

Also a single bulb that uses light tubes. Look under the switch, there will be a Phillips screw. Take that out. Now the whole bit (including the vent) will come off. The top corner (top of the vent) may be a little weird to clip back in later, just take it at an angle. Unscrew the round connector to the headlight switch. If you have fog lights, remove that connector as well.

Now the whole unit will be free. Take it out and you'll see this bulb holder beside the main headlight switch. I usually use a plier to grab onto it and pull it out. You'll then see the bulb. Replace.

Cheers Yuen :) Got it sorted earlier today :)

Other thing I noticed today (im a fussy bugger - and its not even my car!) is that I have no oil light.

Is this bulb the same as the dash illumination lights? And how does the dash come out to get at it?

Thanks

Edited by Muzzie

No worries :)

For the cluster, it's really easy to get out. Unscrew the two Phillips screws above the cluster area. Then you pretty much try to get a grip on it and pull it out. If you can't get a grip, you can unscrew the headlight switch and push it out from behind, or remove the panel below the steering wheel column but that will take a bit more work.

Then disconnect the harnesses that connect to the back of the cluster. IIRC, there are 4, but could be 3. About 2 on each side. After that, adjust your steering wheel height to the lowest position (assuming yours is adjustable, but even if it isn't it doesn't matter). Pull the cluster towards you, up till it gets obstructed by the steering wheel. Then slide it to the passenger side. Should be able to wiggle it free.

Now check out the bulbs, you'll see some 1.5w bulbs and 1.2w bulbs. IIRC, the ones that light up the gauges are higher wattage. The oil light is probably 1.2w. But basically, you'll be able to tell what bulb it uses by seeing where it sits - the oil light will be the same bulb as the others beside it. You can get the new bulb from the dealer, that's including the plastic holder it sits in. I use a Flathead screwdriver to turn the bulbs into position. IIRC the new bulb costs about $2. I've heard you can buy the bulb itself from any car shop and reuse the bulb holder if a bulb blows, but I haven't actually tried it.

Installation is reverse of removal.