Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jonty

Need more horses

Guest Jonty

Looking for some advise on the best bang for buck to increase the performance of my 96 323i coupe, I dont want to go extreme maybe exhaust, or air induction, what do you think. I understand that the 2.5L engine is that same as the 325I only restricted. all ideas appreciated.

cheers

By the way I got smoked by a Volvo the other day.

some Volvo's are quite quick, so it doesn't surprise me.

Yeah, if you are not wanting to make engine mods, then making the car breathe easier, will give you the best bang for your buck.

However, if you are going to get a cone filter, make sure it is well and truly shielded from the engine heat.

Also, a good quality replacement sports exhaust should help as well (like a Remus/ Supersprint etc).

If you do that, maybe look at replacing the chip, that combined with improved induction and freeing up the exhaust should provide a few more ponies.

Good luck.

325i intake manifold and exhaust. 20hp more. Piece of piss.

Are the ports in the head big enough though?? To match the manifolds that is!?!?!

But yeah, the main thing I noticed when comparing the M50B25 & the M52B25 was the inlet runners & exhaust were heaps smaller on the M52 (323i engine), which explained it's lack of topend performance compared to the M50 (325i engine).

Guest Spargo

I was of the impression that the 323 and the 325i used the same engine (M50) and they strangled it by using smaller intake and exhaust?

Anyway, the M52 didn't come out till E46 didn't it?

The M52 was used in the E36 323i & 328i, Basically a alloy blocked M50.

The 2.5 was detuned so the 2.8 could be added to the range since the M50 2.5 had as much HP as the M52 2.8, a bit of difference in torque.

The M54 was brought out in the E46 & X5, which has the double VANOS I believe, as opposed to the single (inlet only) VANOS on the M50 & M52.

checkout the big bore throttle body on www.e36coupe.com before you head down the big cash path.

If you want to stick with the stock air box i can recomend the BMC panal filter, i used this before i went to a carbon induction system also by BMC.

The e36coupe forum is awesome for the e36 boys and girls honestly have a look.

It's not easy to gain HP and torque out of a M52 engine.

I tried some things with my 323Ti Compact, but wasn't happy at all about the results. The engine is very sensitive for other sparkplugs, airfilters and exhauts.

There are options but they will not come cheap.

At the moment i have two options in my mind for the Compact. Or i wil put a 2,8L M52 in the car or i will let the guy's of Kelleners look at it.

Kelleners will cost me about 6.500,-euro for getting 231bhp. I don't know what i will do.

Gr,

Marcel

Guest Jonty

Thanks Guys, I going to do the exhaust, and filter fisrt, cheers Ali for the info on the e36 site I will check it out see what they are doing to them.

I learnt something about the m50 vs m52 through this thread, cheers.