Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Different Speedo setups (Auto Box)

I pulled my wrecked Auto transmission out of my 89 E30 318i last night and there was a plug attached to the back of the geabox assuming this is an electronic speedo running from the box?

The donor box i have is exatly the same but is out of a 85 E30 318i pre-facelift. There is no plug like there is on the wrecked box. So maybe I have to use the speedo cable, diff and gauge clutster out of the 85 318i?

Also the bellhousings are different but both boxes are HP4-22. Hopefully i can just unbolt and swap them over?

Cheers, Luke

Gearboxes have different bolt layouts, won't swap over. You need a f/l box for the m40.

yeah wrong box

just do a manual swap, far more worthwhile. unless your bent on saving pennies or changing engines

Damn it yea i have no money right now haha thought the bellhousings would swap over. Thanks anyway guys

I pulled my wrecked Auto transmission out of my 89 E30 318i last night and there was a plug attached to the back of the geabox assuming this is an electronic speedo running from the box?

I believe the plug you are refering to is the connection from the speedo that signals the transmission to lock the torque converter at 85k's.

The early transmissions don't have the locking torque converter

Edited by Graeme

Oh ok damn might just get my original auto rebuilt Dad gonna pay for it but now he may not buy me my new motor and gearbox...

Was thinking of doing the M50 conversion. Alot of work i know but i have the skill and time to do this considering my work is 500m down the road.

Well wat do ya know i swapped bellhousings over and the centre plate that the oil feeds attach to and she bolted straight up into my car! So you can swap bell housings over guys for future reference.

Will it matter if i dont have that speedo 85km cut out sensor plugged in?

Cheers, Luke

how did you swap bellhousings?

got pics?

Bellhousings unbolt on autos.

From the inside of the bellhousing just like on a manual trans. Must be about 20 17mm bolts rough estimate, behind where the torque converter sits in the bellhousing. Na sorry man i dropped my camera last week didnt even think to take pictures..