Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Painting wheels

I know this has been covered about 100 times with bottlecaps but this is different <_<

I've scored some 17' BBS RC's from Yuen for a very good price(cheers yuen)which I will be claiming on Sunday.They seem to be in decent "mechanical" condition but there seems to be some chips,curbing etc.I was planning on scuffing up the whole lot,bogging/welding anything that isnt straight to get the wheels as straight(lol) as possible.

But then,I have no idea as to how I would go about getting them gloss black.I have rang a few paint places and none of them really want to help and all seem to just want to sell me paint.

I was thinking,2 coats matt black etch primer (2k),2 coats gloss black(2k),2 coats clear(2k). Does that sound fairly decent?and if so,would they last fairly good like that?

A few other people have recommended powdercoating the lot and it seems to be fairly cheap(round bout $50 a wheel)

Any ideas,comments etc

Cheers

Ashkan

Hey Ashkan, NP :) I would go with powdercoating. I got my valve cover done at ProCoat (http://www.procoat.co.nz), I am happy with it and the price was decent.

The reason I say powdercoating is because it should be more durable than paint - on another set of wheels I have it seems the previous owner painted them, and the paint comes off pretty easily, for example if I'm using the tyre wrench and stepping on it to loosen the wheel lugs, and after the lugs give way the wrench spins then falls off, it can easily take a piece of paint with it which really sucks!

yeah i just used a spray can with gloss paint did a couple of coats and it came out fine

Rang the powder coating people that Yuen recomended.

Can't powdercoat anything thats bogged as it needs to be baked and the bog will fall away.

Bring on the spray cans!

a quick note on curbage and that, a while back my mate got some hotwries for his starlet and they were a bit scuffed up and we had them welded up all around the curbed area's and then spun up on a lathe to get the lips perfect again , then they were static balanced before going to the wheel shop to be properly balanced .

this seems like a lot of work but it made for a perfect set of mags.

Have chosen to leave them as-is for now...gave them a quick clean and polish and seemed to be ok for what I paid for them.Cheers again to Yuen for the hookup.

Pics up soon after suspension goes in.