Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

M20 Head/Block compatibility

Hi guys

I have a few questions about cylinder heads and blocks for m20 engines.

My car is a 1990 E30 2.0 , motronic ECU and it has the later style 89" head and manifolds with the better ports/exhaust manifold.

would there be any reason i could not simply bolt my head and manifold onto a 2.5 block and keep my current ecu inlet manifold and other accesorines?

Reason being my exhaust manifold has been surfaced to perfect flatness, my head has been rebuilt,skimmed and valves seated. and my rocker gear is also in nice condition.

I believe all i would need to do is fit the correct size injectors and perhaps fit the air flow meter from a 2.5 and i would be good to go providing these will work with the existing ECU.( which they probally won't what issues are there with doing that ?)

i don't see 2.5 engines on trademe often what are they worth roughly ?

any feedback appreciated.

I'm pretty handy rebuilding engines, so ive no worries to do the work. I really just want to know if it does work and what other people have done.

As i understand it no.

Combustion in 2.0lt is in the cylinder head. 2.5 is in piston, you would end up with a VERY low comp motor

hmm,

stuff

Perhaps i will come across a later type complete 2.5 engine at some stage

whats it like on the electronics side of things running a 2.5 in a 320 body/injection gear.

I know there is at least one member on here with that setup but ive forgotten the user ID :mellow:

hmm,

stuff

Perhaps i will come across a later type complete 2.5 engine at some stage

whats it like on the electronics side of things running a 2.5 in a 320 body/injection gear.

I know there is at least one member on here with that setup but ive forgotten the user ID :mellow:

Different ECU, AFM, injectors, throttle body sizing, at least

Sold a good M20B2.5 recently at $700

Hey i have just done a complete swap with a '90 525i m20 motor and the ecu that came out of that car was the same that was ready in the '90 e30. So i guessed it didn't need to be swapped.