Sign in to follow this  
EDIRTY

engine identification

hey, i'm trying to accurately identify my bmw engine.

Originally my car was a 1985 323i, but the previous owner had to replace the engine and used an engine from a 325i. From what i can tell it is still running the jetronic ignition from the 2.3ltr, is this possible?? Obviously i cannot use the VIN on the car to determine engine specifics as that would relate to the original engine. What is the easiest way of identifying exactly what engine i have (year of production etc) other than the obvious M20B25

any help would be appreciated :)

Edited by EDIRTY

hey, i'm trying to accurately identify my bmw engine.

Originally my car was a 1985 323i, but the previous owner had to replace the engine and used an engine from a 325i. From what i can tell it is still running the jetronic ignition from the 2.3ltr, is this possible?? Obviously i cannot use the VIN on the car to determine engine specifics as that would relate to the original engine. What is the easiest way of identifying exactly what engine i have (year of production etc) other than the obvious M20B25

any help would be appreciated :)

Yes it is possible to convert L jet to motronic & vice versa (have done myself)

Engine ID - Look mid way down L/H side of block (under intake manifold) - has year of manufacture in casting.

Look on L/H (I think from memory) side along bottom of block (just above sump) there is a flat section in the casting with engine details imprinted within. If not on left then obviously check right

Yes it is possible to convert L jet to motronic & vice versa (have done myself)

Engine ID - Look mid way down L/H side of block (under intake manifold) - has year of manufacture in casting.

Look on L/H (I think from memory) side along bottom of block (just above sump) there is a flat section in the casting with engine details imprinted within. If not on left then obviously check right

thanks for that dude, i'll check it out today. how difficult will it be for me to convert form jetronic to motronic? i'm guessing its not as simple as replacing the ECU are there other parts i will need?

thanks for that dude, i'll check it out today. how difficult will it be for me to convert form jetronic to motronic? i'm guessing its not as simple as replacing the ECU are there other parts i will need?

No more involved than that, Motronic use different manifolds, (you can leave exhaust though) engine loom, need to remove distributor & fit oil pump drive/blanking plate (from motronic engine) in place of. Dismantle front of engine, swap cam gear, water pumps, fit motronic distributor drive assy/ crank pully/crank angle sensor/timing cover/ AFM.

With engines out - a couple of hours work to change over