Sign in to follow this  
efirty

Installing power windows into an e30?

Hi there,

A mate of mine is looking into buying a 86 320i (i think its owned currently by a member on here) and wants to know how much (est) it would cost to install power windows into it.

Has anyone on here done it?

Cheers guys!

TBH it wouldn't really be worth it.

Unless you are buying all the parts new for reliability.

I actually swapped all my windows/sunroof over to manual because I got sick of the electrical hassles they were causing. Although it can be done, using second hand parts and DIY it would probably be done for under $200.

I'm a lazy ass, and find it difficult to get into the doors. Quite small. I'd just unbolt the doors and swap them with someone with the same colour who wants manual windows.

However, IMO, I'd rather have manual.

Electirc windows arn't that great unless they work perfectly

I have never been stuck with a window open but you have to press one switch a certain way and one window you can wind down on the front controls and have to wind up with the rear door control.

Gets to be a pain.

$200 could be better spent on service items first then perhaps look at electric windows ?

electric windows are over rated, i do like the feature however of being able to use them while the doors are open with no key. mine are slow..is it the motor worn out?

mine are slow..is it the motor worn out?

More likely that the mechanisim is close to seizing. The motors don't wear out as such, they tend to burn out and stop dead because they are being overloaded. Take everything apart, clean and relube and they will work as good as new.