Sign in to follow this  
otagomed

Back up camera power source

Hi,

I'm installing back up camera for my 99 E46 328 sedan.

The camera will need 12V 300mA.

Where is the best place to connect this for the power supply?

I want the camera to be on when the key position is in 1 or above.

Thanks.

Edited by otagomed

Why not just use the reversing lights feed instead of ignition position 1

some people were saying that it takes few seconds for the camera to start so i'm thinking of putting a camera on stand by all the time so i can get a picture as soon as i change to reverse gear.

Why not just use the reversing lights feed instead of ignition position 1

some people were saying that it takes few seconds for the camera to start so i'm thinking of putting a camera on stand by all the time so i can get a picture as soon as i change to reverse gear.

power it from the same power source as the audio system, using the switched power source.

The wire colour is violet with a white stripe, and appears on the video module, radio module, and navigation unit.

Jochen

Is it the one that goes to the red connector of nav unit?

And can i connect the camera to any ground wire? It seems that they work even when I connect the ground wire to the matal body of the car itself. So the ground must be just any place in the car where the electricity can flow.

power it from the same power source as the audio system, using the switched power source.

The wire colour is violet with a white stripe, and appears on the video module, radio module, and navigation unit.

Jochen

yeah any nut on the body of the car is fine for the earth

Is it the one that goes to the red connector of nav unit?

And can i connect the camera to any ground wire? It seems that they work even when I connect the ground wire to the matal body of the car itself. So the ground must be just any place in the car where the electricity can flow.

Yes purple/white wire in red plug is switched power. Yes to connecting to ground wire as long as it is true earth (brown wire) or to car body

While I was connecing the 12V power and ground to my camera, I accidentally connected to the wrong spot and blew up the fuse for the audio/nav unit. I found the fuse and replaced it and it's working alright but I decided to get a power source from reverse light power rather than from nav unit.

Anyway, I connected everything and it was working perfect last night.

This morning, it didn't work again and after checking few things I managed to find the poor connection for camera's power. While I was reconnecting it I made a stupid mistake again and saw the electrical spark and it was the reverse light fuse that was blown up.

However the reverse light was still working. I don't understand why reverse light is still working while the fese was blown up and the camera wasn't working. After changing the fuse for the reverse light everything working alright again. But can anyone give me an explanation on why the reverse light is working while the fuse was blown up and the camera wasn't working?

All this car electrical staff are so fun!

Yes purple/white wire in red plug is switched power. Yes to connecting to ground wire as long as it is true earth (brown wire) or to car body

While I was connecing the 12V power and ground to my camera, I accidentally connected to the wrong spot and blew up the fuse for the audio/nav unit. I found the fuse and replaced it and it's working alright but I decided to get a power source from reverse light power rather than from nav unit.

Anyway, I connected everything and it was working perfect last night.

This morning, it didn't work again and after checking few things I managed to find the poor connection for camera's power. While I was reconnecting it I made a stupid mistake again and saw the electrical spark and it was the reverse light fuse that was blown up.

However the reverse light was still working. I don't understand why reverse light is still working while the fese was blown up and the camera wasn't working. After changing the fuse for the reverse light everything working alright again. But can anyone give me an explanation on why the reverse light is working while the fuse was blown up and the camera wasn't working?

All this car electrical staff are so fun!

Strange! Are you sure the fuse was infact blown? You said the lights were still going but also that you had already confirmed a bad connection for the camera -explaining it not working??

Pull the fuse out & check lights - you will then confirm the circuit

I must be wrong about the fuse.

Anyway I managed to make it all work again but there is a strange thing.

When I start the car and change to reverse gear I only get black screen. However if I switch on TV then change to reverse I get a picture from camera.

It seems that it's not switching to video in 2 when I'm not on TV screen at the very beginning. However once it starts to show the picture from camera, it works fine whether I'm on TV or nav or menu.

It's always when I start the car that the screen doesn't show the camera picture.

Anyone knows why?

Strange! Are you sure the fuse was infact blown? You said the lights were still going but also that you had already confirmed a bad connection for the camera -explaining it not working??

Pull the fuse out & check lights - you will then confirm the circuit

Edited by otagomed

I must be wrong about the fuse.

Anyway I managed to make it all work again but there is a strange thing.

When I start the car and change to reverse gear I only get black screen. However if I switch on TV then change to reverse I get a picture from camera.

It seems that it's not switching to video in 2 when I'm not on TV screen at the very beginning. However once it starts to show the picture from camera, it works fine whether I'm on TV or nav or menu.

It's always when I start the car that the screen doesn't show the camera picture.

Anyone knows why?

Are you sure you are giving it time for the screen to boot up? The nav display usually takes a few seconds to boot up from the start. If car is already running with screen on nav (or anything else) does it then show camera screen when you engage reverse?

Yes. No matter how long I wait it doesn't show the picture from the camera. Even when car is running with screen on nav it doesn't show anything(i mean it switches to blank screen). However as soon as I go into TV mode everything works fine no matter which screen I am on. I've tried everything that I can think of but no luck. I think TV should be switched on to enable 'RV camera video in' to work as well. When TV is not switched on, only the activation switch 17 works without showing the 'RV camera video in' to the screen. may be because my TV tuner unit is old one that doesn't support automatic start of the TV tuner when the system boots up?

Are you sure you are giving it time for the screen to boot up? The nav display usually takes a few seconds to boot up from the start. If car is already running with screen on nav (or anything else) does it then show camera screen when you engage reverse?

It's my old TV tuner. I found out that it's just how it is with my old TV tuner. I need to buy a newer one to solve the problem. Thanks for your help hotwire.

Cheers,