Sign in to follow this  
steve R

wheel offset check

looking at buying some wheels, they are 18x8 front and 18x9 rear, have been told offset is 35, will the rears fit all good with no scraping? they are to go on an e36, also what size tires should i be running?

thanks

Edited by 328imobbin

lookign at buying some wheels, they are 18x8 front and 18x9 rear, have been told offset is 35, will the rears fit all good with no scraping? they are to go on an e36, also what size tires should i be running?

thanks

35 is good for the front, could be a little low for the rear, I know E36's are a bit tight outback, usually ~41-43 for a 9" rim. Nothing a good guard rolling wont fix.

I have seen 235/40 r18's up front, but they are quite tall and can rub the front inner guard, and lip of the guard, so 225/40 may be a better choice, 255/35 R18 out back.

Thats a fairly decent stagger!

I'd go with the same size all round (rims & tyres), you can then rotate them & should handle better.

35 is good for the front, could be a little low for the rear, I know E36's are a bit tight outback, usually ~41-43 for a 9" rim. Nothing a good guard rolling wont fix.

I have seen 235/40 r18's up front, but they are quite tall and can rub the front inner guard, and lip of the guard, so 225/40 may be a better choice, 255/35 R18 out back.

Thats a fairly decent stagger!

I'd go with the same size all round (rims & tyres), you can then rotate them & should handle better.

Very true, i am running 18x8 all round with 235/40 tyres. The fronts rub slightly on full lock, the rears are fine - this is with mspec suspension.

looking at buying some wheels, they are 18x8 front and 18x9 rear, have been told offset is 35, will the rears fit all good with no scraping? they are to go on an e36, also what size tires should i be running?

thanks

Hey mate. 9's at 35 et will definitely rub on back, even if you go to a 245/35/18, offset is too low for E36. generally 215/40/18's or 225/40/18's ar ethe way to go.

sorry mate don't know whether or not I made myself clear, BUT I a, NOT advocating a 215/40 or 225/40 on a 9" wide rim. was suggesting that if you keep the same size rim size(ie 8") then this would be the tyre size to go for.

Considering BMW fit 235/40's on 7.5 inch wide I would be advocating 235 or 245 on an 8 inch rim.235 and 245 will fit in stock guards with no mods if offset is correct.

Whats the point of the extra rim width if you are not using it to get extra rubber?

I sell wheels day in day out that's my job, most people go for extra rim width for either A - the drift look (silly), or B to try and fill up the guards nicely.