Sign in to follow this  
EDIRTY

ljet --> motronic (M20B25)

hey guys,

i've just picked up a mint donor car lots of little bits and pieces that will definately come in handy, its a pre F/L M20B25 i am already running a B25 however my car was originally a 323i so i am still running ljet and 323 distributer etc, i am assuming my donor car (being pre F/L) will be motornic 1.1

I will have a few good parts for sale and will post here prior to TM, this will include Motorsport recaro interior (non leather) in blue (i already have leather) door cards included.

i realise that it would be easier for me to just swap the whole power plant dizzy and all but i know the km's on my existing 2.5 are really low and the engine is in super condition, i have no service history for the donor 2.5 and km's are higher so i rather keep it as a spare and salvage all motronic stuff off it. i have looked into what is invloved with the ljet --> motronic it is my understanding that the loom will need to be changed as well, is this just the engine harness or complete loom???? am i opening up a can of worms?? or should this be realitively straight forward??

are there any tricky things that i need to be careful of whilst doing all this and will there need to be gaskets or anything else replaced at the same time due to dismantling front of engine and changing intake?

will the move from ljet to motronic 1.1 be a positive move forward for my b25? NB i have already advanced timing on my ljet

any help/info would be appreciated,

thanks

Edited by EDIRTY

you will find you will need to replace the radiator and stuff with your new engine. its not too tricky. talk to ray he will sort you out. 0212hellbm

i am currently doing that myself. all you need to do is change the front cambelt cover. maby cam sprocket. is it motronic 1.1 or 1.3? 1.3 has a toothed crank pully. if its a 1.1 with a smooth pully you will have to change gearbox a few conection on the loom need adapting but its not 2 hard

i am currently doing that myself. all you need to do is change the front cambelt cover. maby cam sprocket. is it motronic 1.1 or 1.3? 1.3 has a toothed crank pully. if its a 1.1 with a smooth pully you will have to change gearbox a few conection on the loom need adapting but its not 2 hard

Thanks for your response

"you will have to change gearbox" - did i read this correctly?

you will find you will need to replace the radiator and stuff with your new engine. its not too tricky. talk to ray he will sort you out. 0212hellbm

i have a donor car so radiator etc is already there from 325, so i assume i must still be running the 323 radiator from my old engine. i have been told i have to replace the cam gears also??

well on the motronic v1.1 im asuming ur cars a manual. i dont know about the autos but the crank positioning sensor is on the flywheel and the is a peice on the loom that sits in your bellhousing. you can tell what version it is by looking at the crank pully smooth =1.1 toothed =1.3 if your not to keen on changing your gearbox you could get another loom ecu and get a toothed pully. its quite simple. also you will have to change the connenctions to your fusebox and that should just about cover it.

well on the motronic v1.1 im asuming ur cars a manual. i dont know about the autos but the crank positioning sensor is on the flywheel and the is a peice on the loom that sits in your bellhousing. you can tell what version it is by looking at the crank pully smooth =1.1 toothed =1.3 if your not to keen on changing your gearbox you could get another loom ecu and get a toothed pully. its quite simple. also you will have to change the connenctions to your fusebox and that should just about cover it.

thanks mate really appreciate your help, this forum is a great resourse :)

Hrrm, 1.0 crank wheel = smooth. 1.1 and 1.3 = toothed.

1.0 has the sensors in the gearbox. 1.1 and 1.3 has them on the front of the crank with the toothed wheel.

1.1 to 1.3 swap is easy, just replace the ecu with a 1.3 unit.

1.0 to 1.3 is a bit different, done it just last weekend.

You need to replace the entire engine loom, pull the sensors out of the gearbox, pull the front wheel off the crank and replace with a toothed one (remove radiator, clutch fan, and front pulley, removed water pump pulley, now the old wheel should pull off and you can put the new toothed one on). the oil level sensor has diffenrnt plug, you can either cut the old plug off the loom and put the other one on or replace the sensor with a newer one. at the starter motor their is a extra wire that isnt used. You will need the 6th spark plug wire off a motronic 1.1 or 1.3 as it has a sensor on it. The main engine harness plug / fusebox plug will go straight in, the engine side has more pins, but it all works.

Thats all for a 1.0 to 1.3 swap, might help you out. If you want any wiring diagrams for 1.1 / 1.3 let me know.