Sign in to follow this  
rogan

e39 door sill removal

Bought a new door rubber cos the old ones a bit perished in places. To fit it I've gotta take the sill protector plastic thingy off.

Tried a few things but it don't move easily and I don't want to break it. How do they come off?? Slide forward or backwards ??

what car???? if its a e30 you just gotta pull it around and try push it towards the front of the car. its a b****y little thing

what car???? if its a e30 you just gotta pull it around and try push it towards the front of the car. its a b****y little thing

Its in the title, E39

You could try this

Removal of the front is really easy, I found the best way was to lift the middle of the old sill cover up about 1.5 inches and then slide the whole sill cover towards the back of the car. This will remove the sill cover and leave the old clips in place.

To remove the old clips I used two flat blade screwdrivers and some cloth to protect the bodywork, I used the two screwdrivers under each side of the clip and pryed it out, pushing against the cloth placed on the bodywork, they come out easily.

The rears were a bit more difficult, I found it hard to slide them out, you need to lift the 'B pillar side' as well as part of the middle of the sill cover, in the end I used the two screwdrivers to pyre out the sill cover and the clips. I damaged the clip housing on the old sill cover , but the clips themselves were ok, they are tough little things.

I found it here in post #10

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95970

Thanks for that. I had a google around but couldn't find anything.

Even getting the middle up 1.5" is hard. I'll have another crack tomorrow

I'll have another crack tomorrow

post-586-1189696599_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maccoretti