Sign in to follow this  
NZPED

Iridium Plugs and K&N Filter Panels

Are there any worthwhile benefits from using iridium plugs or K&N replacement air filter panels? (economy power etc?)

Anyones input would be appreciated, cheers guys.

No and no. Stick with the original plugs and replace them at the recommended interval. As for K&N again I would suggest that you should use the standard BMW fitted Mahle filter as in my experience apart from the extra intake noise, performance gains (especially on a standard engine) are minimal to nil. Here's a link with some interesting info on the subject of filters:

http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/

Edited by ducatiss

Iridium plugs from memory are rated to last around 70,000km and platinums around 100,000km. All your paying for really is a longer lasting plug im sure and in some cases iridium/platinum plugs can be worse for some motors eg. Nissans RB and also alot of Honda motors i've heard can have issues. I always recomend regular NGK plugs at work.

Iridium plugs from memory are rated to last around 70,000km and platinums around 100,000km. All your paying for really is a longer lasting plug im sure and in some cases iridium/platinum plugs can be worse for some motors eg. Nissans RB and also alot of Honda motors i've heard can have issues. I always recomend regular NGK plugs at work.

I thought it was the opposite, ie the RB's will burnout the coils if they use regular plugs?

I thought it was the opposite, ie the RB's will burnout the coils if they use regular plugs?

From what ive heard the iridium/platinum plugs are worse off for an RB. Was talking to a friend of mine and he is right up there with the RB's and recommends using the standard specified plug and gap them to 0.7mm.

The standard plug should have no effect on the coil packs as they were designed to run with them from factory.