Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ari Gold

All Blacks Trial Match

Guest Spargo

All Blacks Trial Teams

24/05/2004 11:06 AM

NZRU

The All Blacks selectors have named the two trial teams which will play in the All Blacks trial next week. The Probables will play the Possibles at Eden Park, Auckland, on Tuesday 1 June 2004, kick-off at 7.35pm. The first All Blacks squad will be announced the following day.

The Probables will be coached by the All Blacks coaching staff, with Hurricanes coach Colin Cooper and Chiefs coach Ian Foster coaching the Possibles.

The teams and positions are as follows:

Probables

1. Deacon Manu

2. Andrew Hore

3. Greg Somerville

4. Chris Jack

5. Keith Robinson

6. Jerry Collins / Reuben Thorne

7. Richard McCaw / Marty Holah

8. Mose Tuiali'i

9. Justin Marshall

10. Carlos Spencer

11. Joe Rokocoko

12. Daniel Carter

13. Tana Umaga

14. Doug Howlett

15. Mils Muliaina

Probables Reserves

Derren Witcombe

Tony Woodcock

Brad Thorn

Angus MacDonald

Jimmy Cowan

Luke McAlister

Andrew Mehrtens

Hosea Gear

Possibles

1. Kees Meeuws

2. Keven Mealamu

3. Carl Hayman

4. Jono Gibbes

5. Simon Maling

6. Craig Newby

7. Josh Blackie

8. Xavier Rush

9. Byron Kelleher

10. Aaron Mauger

11. Sitiveni Sivivatu

12. Sam Tuitupou

13. Ben Atiga

14. Caleb Ralph

15. Nick Evans

Possibles Reserves

Corey Flynn

Carl Hoeft

Ali Williams

Sione Lauaki

Isaac Boss

Tane Tu'ipulotu

Brent Ward

The following players were not considered due to injury: Daniel Braid, Steve Devine, Rico Gear, Mark Hammett, Hayden Pedersen, Keith Lowen and Tom Willis.

Good points:

Merhts is back! Spencer and Merhts, i feel will play a pivotal role, almost acing like a ying and yang.

Xavier Rush: great to see him get a chance again. I'm fairly certain that he will play a senior role in the team, after Paddy O'Brein described him as one of the most knowledgeable captains in the game.

Dan Carter: good to have a 2nd kicking option, even if he is a flaming metrosexual, he should fit right in with dougie et al.

Jono Gibbes: My my, the list goes on, so much experience, so many captains everyhwere!

Nik Evans: He's gonna get smashed i feel, too small, same as devine.

Bad points: No Gus Collins, he would have been a fine addition to our 2 current high towers, Williams and Jack.

To sum up: I feel we will give England a spanking, probably by 30 points.

Yes I will be going, without a doubt.

Two good teams.

I agree, good to see Mehts at least get a run. He deserves it, he is class, and can control the game like no-one else (except Johnny Wilkinson...but we don't mention him). Him and Spenser offer two good contrasting styles of play.

Xavier Rush....what a joke. He is the most overrated player in NZ (him and Caleb Ralph). He is crap, total and utter crap. He can't and never will perform above domestic level rugby. However, Aucklanders seem to like him, so Graham Henry has given him a run to stop the whinging Aucklanders.

Daniel Carter - all class, the modern game best suits playing a good 1st five playing at 2nd five, so the likes of Carter and Mauger are in their element, they can use their kicking game to get in behind the newer style defensive lines.

Good to see Jonno Gibbes getting a run, he deserves it, he is a good hard traditional rugby player and will keep everyones feet on the grounds and kill a few ego's. Same with Keith Robinson. We need good (real) hard nosed forwards with reasonably rugby brains (like the English have had recently), not the pretend hard nosed forwards with no brain at all we have had recently.

I like the choice of Nick Evans, he deserves a trial. What he lacks in size, he makes up in elusiveness. He is a great ball carrier, and safe under the high ball too. He isn't scared to get amongst it, and has a good rugby brain on him.

I think that the backline looks very good, and with Umaga in there amongst the rest of them will be good defensively as well as on attack.

The forwards are ok too, not great, but they are the best we have, but I'm sure they will keep the English at bay and hopefully be able to provide the backs with decent ball, if not then we are in real trouble as Marshall is a very good halfback, but not when the forwards are being outplayed, he is too slow in getting the ball out, and that can be costly.

I also think that we should beat the English fairly comfortably, as they are sending their B side over again.

Clive Woodward is a very very clever man. He keeps his eye on the main prize at all times, and just concentrates purely on the World Cup.

Graham Henry is much the same, and he is a good coach, and the AB's should do well under his coaching.

Cheers

Stupid question, but who was the no. 8 for the Chiefs? I cannot remember.

Sione Lauaki