Sign in to follow this  
chimera

E36 323i mods

hey,

ok, so much for wanting to keep it stock :D i want to start doing a few minor mods. lets start with the pod filter. can i just put any pod filter on that fits? like a k&n or simota? or is it best to get a proper E36 kit for it? i wanna do something like this:

Posted Image

REF: http://www.electrodyne.cc/search_engine_in..._52_36_100.html

also, what other mods can I do to give best bang for buck? (without going overboard!) eg: ecu, extractors etc?

cheers

futhur down on this thread is pics/prices/where to get a CAI for an e36, have a read its good info.

From past experience if you are going for a pod filter personally i've found genuine k+n the best.

With a good cold airbox setup and bigger exhaust(less restrictive mufflers etc) you should see some gains.

cheers mate, have emailed autopassion for a price.

what other mod's are out there? where do you guys get your ecu upgrades from? do these mod's void mechanical warranties or does it only void what you're replacing? (must go check the fine print!)

cheers

Don't get too happy replacing your stock airbox with a filter that flows better. Flow comes at the expense of filtration. Unless you are doing it for the noise, I'd keep the stock filter - just replace it with a new stock one. Read some tests awhile back, the stock paper filter is a good combination of flow and filtration capability.

K&N should be ok, but when it comes time to re-oil it make sure you don't over-oil it or you could mess up your MAF sensor. If you're going for a pod filter that sits in the engine bay, best you get a heatshield.

And I would think mechanical warranties would be affected by mods like that which could potentially let more junk in hence harm your engine.

And by the way... 323i will benefit from exhaust mods. It has the same exhaust system from header-back as the 320i. If you can get a 328 exhaust system fitted it would be good.

cheers yuen. does the 328 have extractors? if not would it be more beneficial getting extractors then a 328 exhaust from there? whats the difference in diameter of the 323 vs 328 exhaust?

also, found this kit from CPA for $85. excludes pod filter and cold airbox but filters cheap enough.

Posted Image

Edited by chimera

323i/320i have the two header pipes merging into 1 pipe before they enter the cat, and also only 1 pipe from cat-back. 328i has two pipes. Not sure if diameters are different. 3pedals may know. You can have a look at the diagrams for the respective systems on www.realoem.com. You could also do a de-cat and put cobys in place. Lidistick has done it.

I always thought extractors were the same thing as headers/exhaust manifold. Do you mean aftermarket headers? The 323 and 328 headers are the same, they are M52 headers unlike the older cast iron M50 ones.

K&N looks better... I'm sure you can import it if you wanted. Have you considered a K&N panel filter? I am pretty sure they make one which will slot into your airbox. But that shouldn't make any difference in sound.

IMO you shouldn't go for an intake if you're looking to gain BHP. The money is probably better spent on suspension. Is the car completely stock at the moment? Is it an M-Sport?

Edited by Yuen

I always thought extractors were the same thing as headers/exhaust manifold. Do you mean aftermarket headers? The 323 and 328 headers are the same, they are M52 headers unlike the older cast iron M50 ones.

I always thought extractors were individual pipes coming off each cylinder that ran back to a larger single or dual pipe and standard headers was one big manifold that was more restrictive. Perhaps I got my terminology wrong?

IMO you shouldn't go for an intake if you're looking to gain BHP. The money is probably better spent on suspension. Is the car completely stock at the moment? Is it an M-Sport?

No, not M sport although has an M sport front and alloys. The rear suspension is much lower than the front, seems to be like that on many BMW's. I have considered getting the front lowered to match the back, almost looks pumped up in the front. I got my springs heated and lowered in an old car that I used to have - made cornering 100 times better. Not sure if the same will apply for the bimmer. So yes, completely stock. I figure I will only do the intake if I also do the exhaust as they really go hand in hand.

Hmm... did a google, came up with this: http://www.exhaustcenter.com/headers.shtml

So I guess headers = extractors and exhaust manifold would be the stock stuff. I guess if you wanted to get more power you could go with headers but that won't come cheap.

As for suspension, yup yours sounds like its on stock springs, I went with M-Tech springs and they improved handling significantly while not making it too low, perfect height as a daily IMO. Funny thing about the M-Tech is that although the M-Tech rear springs were a little shorter than the stock rears, the car did not sit any lower. The front was definitely noticeable though.

And by the way... 323i will benefit from exhaust mods. It has the same exhaust system from header-back as the 320i. If you can get a 328 exhaust system fitted it would be good.

Today's yo' lucky day.

I have a stock 328 (cat back only) exhaust fo sale.

PM me if you can dig it

cheers.

as an aside, got a price back for CAI for 323i from autopassion,... $459... ouch, no thanks. rather DIY something myself at that price. thats alot of moola for a couple of decibels :lol: