Sign in to follow this  
chimera

crazy E36 320 racecar

Nice video, me even better if your could see his instuments-revs speed etc.

I gather thats his diff whining??

I gather thats his diff whining??

yeah, read the questions below the vid, a few people arguing over that. i'd be picking diff but could be gearbox... or maybe it's him squealing with excitement :lol:

oh yeah, and im picking it must've been reverse grid to start!

Edited by chimera

yeah, read the questions below the vid, a few people arguing over that. i'd be picking diff... or maybe it's him squealing with excitement :lol:

This vidi has done the rounds so many times now.

I think you will find the whining is from the straight cut gearset (mmm sequential too), not the diff.

I think you will find the whining is from the straight cut gearset (mmm sequential too), not the diff.

I agree, all the world rally cars make the same noise (due to straight cut gears)

I agree, all the world rally cars make the same noise (due to straight cut gears)

That 320 has the engine from Johnny Reids French Touring 320i in it. And yes it is the gearbox, a more interesting fact is that the gears must be replaced after every 2nd race due to wear. i have a DVD at home on BMW race cars (starts from the early 3.0 CSL Le mans car till now) and this exact video is on it. it also has another one of the car at another Dutch track, and he is hitting upwards of 320-330km/ph. another one is Hans Muller's Works M3GTR round the nurburgring, racing a GT1 Porsche. its a sight to see, especially when the GTR gets sideways.'

Check it out its called Bavarian Speed: BMW Race Cars 1972 - 2006

its all in German but is subtitled.